Got a guestion on Automatic headlight...

Jeff Bratton

Do any of you guys just leave your automatic headlight switch on all the time? My question is these..... and have noticed this for sometime in only one to two minute trips, in other words, a short little drive. When finished with my little trips my headlights will go off but my marker lights will stay on and on... and on, get the point, unless I go under the hood and pull the yellow fuse to break the circuit.

I have also changd out the multifunction switch last year sometime because of the sun fading the arm of the switch, but it is doing the same. I'm thinking something else is causing this, but what? Hoping that someone has had the same type of problem and maybe shade some light my way!

Thank You... :)

Jeff B.

Do you mean that you pull the fuse, then re-insert it and the lights stay off?

I use mine the same way as you do but don't have that problem. I've never dug into the system but assume there are some relay's of some sort inside the unit that interfaces to the light harness. It's possible that the module itself is failing. What happens if you turn the auto lights off? (rotate the wheel all the way down until it clicks) Does that kill the markers?

If you are talking about the the cornering lights in the bumper cover just forward of the front wheels. They are only to come on with the turn signals and are not part of the auto head lights except for the other basic problem of Ford running all of the light power running through the light & multifunction (MFS) switches.
Are you sure you replaced the MFS with the correct one that is designed for the auto-dim? I think you need to remove the new 1 and compare the pin-outs with the new 1. A lot of Ford MFSs will plug in and do all of the basic functions but do not have the pin-outs to support the extended functions, for example some don't have the Hazard button on top but will still do the basics. Good luck

Mike.... What I mean is that having problems when the Auto dimmer is on and drive short distances at night and when I turn the ignition off, the headlights will turn off but the turn signal lights will stay on, even if I turn the dimmer dial all the way down til it clicks. I have to take the fuse out located under the hood in order for the turn signal lights to turn off.

Now... if I drive say 8 to 10 miles down the road and then stop somewhere then they both will go off.

VancouverBC.... sorry if I may have confused you but mean't to say turn signal, not marker lights. I have changed both the Auro dimmer switch, as well as the MFS. On the MFS... the one for the SC is different than the Non SC... difference is the Non SC has a green base, & the one for the SC has a lite blue base, base being the actual section which plugs into the steering column.

Jeff

In that case, it could be your autolamp switch or you headlight switch. You can remove them and test each of the pinouts with an Ohmmeter for an open circuit. Pins A & R on the light switch control the Park Lamps and should only be open when in the "Off" position. I'll see if I can find the pin out for the Auto dim switch. Good luck

I know this is a dumb question, but are you sure the knob is pushed in fully and not out about 1/2" to the parking lamp setting?

When you pull the fuse, can you immediately re-insert it and the lights stay off, or do you need to wait some period of time before you can re-insert the fuse?

TBirdSCFan..... Nothing wrong with that question! we all overlook the smallest of things sometimes. But yes I checked the knob and it is pushed all the way in. I don't use the actual headlight switch to turn on or off my lights, other than to turn the interior light on.

Mike.... When I take the fuse out and I try to re-insert it right back in immediately, the turn signals still are on. Now if I wait a little longer and re-insert the fuse, they are out at that time.

Jeff

Sounds like a problem with a relay. That means the multi function switch. Either that or some sort of wiring issue. You should be able to trace it back to the multi function switch to see if power is coming out of it for the lights or not.

Use a test probe when the problem is occuring to see if the multi-function switch is driving the lights. If so, that at least eliminates a hard to find wiring fault. Then it's either a problem with the switch, or with how the switch is connected with whatever drives it.

Click the link below for the wiring diagram for the turn lights. Maybe that will help you pin point it.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/turnlightwiring.jpg

Here is the wiring for the Auto and Delay lamps
http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/delayandautolamps.jpg
http://www.frontiernet.net/~miketoni/delayandautolamps2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank You for your guys help, I should be able to hopefully find it soon, When I get a chance I'll look at it.

Jeff

Back