HELP! Mechanic Screwn Me Around??

A

AlteredEgoSC

My bird died a few months back, but it was the beginning of the winter so I decided I would let the beast sleep for the season (and I would save some $$ to fix her). I figured it was the crank sensor - cranks but wont start and upshift light was on.

So, I got my buddy to tow the car to the shop to change the sensor and do my powersteering (it was gone too).

So he calls me up yesterday and tells me he put in the new sensor and nothing happend - no spark. Says I'll need a new module. I figure he knows what hes doing.

But then he calls me today and tells me that you have to switch the components in pairs and that by switching just the sensor, it would have gone bad, and I need a new one - as well as a module. HUH? Ive read hours worth of lit. on this site, I've never heard that.

Guys, I need your help. Im pressed for cash and another $200 on parts isnt exactly easy to dish out. What should I do?

Thanks alot for your time,
Altered Ego

P.S. It died before and I took it to a shop to get it looked @. The mechanic ran codes on it and pulled none, then the car started, go figure. when I picked it up and drove it home, it ran like crap, bogged down alot. Then I got it home it was idleing, and it died, hasnt ran since.

He's BSing you or he's clueless. One can be changed without the other. I also doubt that you need a new DIS module, tell the guy if it isn't the problem the you aren't paying for it. Also tell him to save everything he replaces or you won't pay.

But then he calls me today and tells me that you have to switch the components in pairs and that by switching just the sensor, it would have gone bad, and I need a new one - as well as a module. HUH? Ive read hours worth of lit. on this site, I've never heard that.

Total BS, your correct they don't need to be swapped at the same time.

David

I'm betting he put the sensor in but didn't line it up right. So the blade on the damper came around and smashed the sensor. Or he didn't tie the wires up right and the pulleys cut through them. So he's trying to pawn it off as something else so you'll buy a new sensor and he won't have too.

Just my opinion.

Steve

What is the condition of the balancer? On two of the occasions when I broke the stock (recycled beer cans) balancer, the crank sensor was fine, but the symptoms are exactly the same as if it failed. On one occasion, the bolt didn't even break, so it was really hard to tell it was the balancer unless you knew what to look for.

At any rate, your situation is either the crank sensor or the balancer, or both. No doubt......

Back