Problem after lowering...

fastsc92

OK i got a set of brand new S/T springs. After working on the car for about two months (other mods) I finally got it on the ground. The front end lowered very nicely....exactl 1.5" from before. However...the rear end has only gone down .5". I got new..shorter end links for the sway bar..so its not that, and the swaybar is perfectly level. I also put all new poly bushings in the front and rear. And i got new spring insulators for the rear. How come its sitting high? I cant figure it out. Do they need to break in, and the insulators to squish down?

That must be an agressive stance. Post some pictures. What were the spring rates for the rear?

Also, are you running the same size tires all around.

Last edited:
They will sag a bit over time, give it a little while and they will probably settle. An inch seems like a lot but it should work out.

New spring insulators ?? That sounds like your problem. The ones in my car are hard plastic that fit the shape of the coil spring. I don't really see how they could wear out.

I replaced the lower rears with thick rubber ones from Mr. Gasket after installing a set of H&R springs to lift it back up about 1/2" inch.

David

PS: Did you drive the car before measuring, because straight down off the jack it will sit higher.

Last edited:
Did you get the spring out by taking out the two bolts in the lower arm to rear knuckle bushing? Did you tighten those bolts back while the car was still in the air and no weight was on the wheels?

If so, your bushings in the lower arms are binding. You need to loosen those bolts while the weight is on the wheel and then tighten them back up with the weight still on the wheel. You can run it up on ramps to do this.

ok...my insulators.....they are the rubbers ones on the top and bottom of the springs in the rear. ALl they do it keep it quiet. They are not placed in the coils to change the height. They are factory replacement ones.
Also...yes...now that i think of it, i did tighten them up while it was in the air. But they are brand new poly bushings that i put in at the same time...do you think that could cause some binding even if they are new? Thanks guys...you've been a great help....

In a word....YES....you have axle windup and the bushings are improperly preloaded and could be the source of your problem. Poly would be even worse to do this with than rubber since they are so unforgiving.

guys i cant figure it out. I did what you told me to do and still...no luck...it only sits .5" lower after the new springs. The front is perfect, but the back sits up high. I loosened the bolts to the rear knuckle while it was on the ground and tightened it back up...still no luck. Then i did it again but left the bolts loose, just in the keep the knuckle connected and drove it around a bit. Then i got back...and tightened it up figuring it needed to settle. Still....no luck. I cant figure out whats going on. Anyone know why it wont sit level??

Well I hear it takes time to settle. But are you sure you got the right springs? Also are they positioned correctly (not sure if you can do it wrong)?

ya they are the right springs...they are S/T springs and are brand new. They are the same as the old ones....just shorter. I also got new rubber insulators on the tops and bottoms of the springs.

i still cant figure it out.....no change yet.....whats going on? Looks kinda dumb....anyone else have this problem with S/T springs? Does anyone have any pics of their car with S/T springs??? IF not, does it sit level???

who knows....does anyone have pics or info that used the S/T springs??? Please, looking to figure this thing out.

if i remove the rear insulators...it'll just be the metal springs on the metal arms.....not too good for noise. The rubber is only there to stop metal to metal contact.

fastsc92 said:
if i remove the rear insulators...it'll just be the metal springs on the metal arms.....not too good for noise. The rubber is only there to stop metal to metal contact.

if u take the bottom isolator out u could slide some rubber hosing around the bottom coil, that would help the noise

the stock ones were in good shape too...but i was told to go get new ones so it sits even...side to side. But old ones were squished...but not that bad. The new factory ones were very close to the original ones.

the isolators will make a slight difference, I personally would cut the springs and smooth out the last coil

Back