rust removal

hepcat

Well I need ways to remove rust from exhuast manifolds. I have ported them and dont want to ruin the inside by sandblasting them. I need others ways and I have tried a wire brush on my drill but still won't get it all off.

What about Electrolysis. I have heard a little but what is the best way or is using acids better. I just need some ideas that worked for people.

Thanks

Raymond

I don't think sandblasting will hurt your porting. You could stuff a rag in each hole and duct tape over the openings if you are concerned.

I think once you have the rust removed, it will be a more difficult task to find a coating that will keep the rust from coming back.

If nothing else, perhaps a weak solution of hydrochloric acid (miradic @ a hardware store) or some CLR?

Now that I think about it, if you go to the autoparts store, like Autozone, and look near the touchup paint section there exists several chemicals. Some convert rust to primer, others simply remove the rust from metal surfaces.

rust

Thanks all I appriciate it. These are for a friend and need to get them done and have tried to do it with a wire brush but you can't get it all and I want to make sure I do a good job on them. I will be ceramic coating them.

I think I will try the weak solution of hydrochloric acid. Do you have to delute it and with what if you do?

Thanks again.

Raymond

I usually find it in gallon quantities, and it is strong out of the bottle. Definatley wear gloves and goggles. Try different parts of acid & water. First, try 3 parts water & 1 part acid. Increase strength if necessary.

The better way might be the bottle of rust remover at Autozone, because if it works it would be easier.

I would think the acid would make them rust more. They can be easily sand blasted or stripped with a scotch wheel on a drill. I used a special paint from summit for the manifolds on my Corvette and then baked them in an oven as per the instructions and they have not shown any sign of wear in 4 years. Hope this helps.

Raymond......

I have worked in the rust removal field for about 14 years. Here is what you want to do.

The handy man's secret weapon.........Duct tape. Duct tape over the openings on both the head side and the output end. Trim off all the excess with a knife. Repeat the process. Make the duct tape layer about 2- 3 layers thick.

Next chose your blast media very carefully. If you want the least profile (the bumps that are left after the blasting process) I recommend a blast material like baking soda, or another very fine powder. Fine glass beads are very good for this.

Finally don't use a full 100 psi to do the sand blasting. Turn down the pressure to like around 40-50 psi.

This will result in a very close to "cast" texture, and then they will be ready for the ceramic coating.

I have done many a manifold like this, and have always had great results.

I can do the work for you as well if you want.

Good luck

Back