Questions about fan not running

nicktcfcsb

I have a low milage 90 sc 5 speed and today for the first time ever I washed the motor with the motor running of course, now I have searched and still have some questions, the fan wont come on now,(shes running hot) I was trying to ground wire 14 at the relay in front of the air box. When I grounded 14 I got a spark and decided to stop before I ruin something. There are 3 wires on the fan connect if I just ground the black at the battery and put the read to the + of the battery it should run if the fans good right? If it does run then whats the best way to go about checking the relay ( I.E the 14 and 17 wires.) Thanks in advance!
Nick

If you washed it with the motor running you probably shorted something out. Once it has a chance to dry try it again, but it may be shot. When I do my engine, I do it at a time I can leave the car for several hours, with the hood up (pull the under hood light) and let it air dry. Not a good idea to spray the hot engine with water. Cover all electrical parts and don't use high pressure on anything, at least not for any length of time. Use a good engine degreaser to make it easier and so you won't have to use so much water or high pressure. Maybe someone knoledgeable can elaborate, but there's a temp sensor that turns on the fan, maybe that's what shorted out.

HTH

Well I pulled the fan and wired it to a 12 volt source and it worked, then I cut the 14 wire and added the one side of it to the 17 wire and it works now, :confused: I dont know what was up before it must have just been from the water.

As JAFO said most likely a short occured. I have done this on several occasions to SCs, engine off, without a problem.

If a short occured and a fuse was on the circuit, it most likely blew. Check them all. On that year I also think there were fusable links for the fan circuit near the starter relay.

yeah I cut the 14 wire and now I am getting a check engine light coming on and off. I guess I will have to see if I can find the post about the way to get rid of the check light with the fan on earlyer.

Back