water leak in trunk?

Digitalchaos

During a heavy rain or a little during a carwash, water accumulates within my trunk. It first fills the low point where the large rubber drain plug is at. It probably has not occured for very long, as there are no signs of corrosion.

All the rubber trim found on the exterior lip of the trunk opening is in place, though some of it can be pulled off & put back. What would cause this leak? I would like to have it fixed quickly to prevent corrosion and store various objects within the spare tire well.

It could also be from the rear window seal. Have someone you can trust shut you and a flashlight inside the trunk, if you have folding seats it's no big deal. Then have them soak the rear with a hose while you search for the leak.

Vernon

Thankyou for your assistance. Might this water also be going other places? And could I fix the leak myself with some ATV?

Your welcome. Yes the water could go into the wheel wells. I don't think driving an ATV over the trunk is a good idea. Try useing some flowable silicone on glass leaks or RTV on sheetmetal.

Vernon

lol RTV is what I meant, and I've bought some clear silicon RTV. I may have found the leak while looking inside.. there is an oval-rectangle hole incorporated into the inside passenger fender of the trunk below the window seal. I also noticed the black strips following the sides of the rear windows also have smaller black strips about 1/4 their size inserted into the outter edge. Near the bottom of the black strip, passenger side, the smaller strip has a crease which is proping it up. its small, but I think water finds its way in and follows the sheetmetal to the hole. There is also a trail of slight stain from previous water trails just below the hole. I will attempt to RTV it & see the results.

no. I think now it has to be coming from the bottom of the right rear window seal. The seal has a crease which has lifted part way, and I see no other place.

Back