Need info on crank pulley asap!

awjea

I have the underdrive set, and just got some original pulley's to put back on due to heat problems............
The question is................The crank pulley, I keep reading that it has to be balanced to the dampener, true/false?
I don't see any "pins" that people talk about when balancing a stock crank pulley, on the one I just got.
So, do I need to have it balanced to the dampener or just bolt it on? Also, Do I have to remove the dampener to remove it , or just the four bolts that it looks like without removing the dampener???
Any help is greatly appreciated.......
Greg

the pulleys interchange with no balancing, both are supposedly "0"balanced. Mine checked out at 0 also (the factory glues in little round pucks to balance it)

so If I understand correctly?

The OEM one I have now, does NOT need to be balanced with the dampener...............?
Ok, so is it as easy as just the four bolts that show on the pulley? The dampener can stay on the car as I do it?
What kind torque are we talking about on those bolts?
Thanks for the info

Re: so If I understand correctly?

awjea said:
The OEM one I have now, does NOT need to be balanced with the dampener...............?
Best I can tell, no it doesn't need to be. Considering the material and weight, and flywheel mass of just the pulley, I can't see that it needs balancing. The OEM HB itself has a steel pin which balances it out.. but think about it, if you have an assembly line operation, would it make more sense to balance each piece before you assembled it. Crank, flywheel, and HB separately. Otherwise, how would you do it?

Ok, so is it as easy as just the four bolts that show on the pulley? The dampener can stay on the car as I do it?
What kind torque are we talking about on those bolts?
Thanks for the info
I think so. Yes. 20lbs. Let me just say that from comments I've seen, nobody yet has had to balance the pulley's, but if I'm wrong, I'll hear about it.

well......

That's good enough for me...........
The only reason I ask, is when I called to get a new pulley from ford, they said that the unit is balanced with the HD and the pulley as one...........and didn't sell it seperately.
Thanks for all the help guys..........
Assuming I get the OEM ones back on tomorrow........anyone interested in the underdrive set? Make an offer...........

APS's or MARCH? I'm not interested, but I bet alot will be.

As for the pulley questions. You do know that the crank pulley has the 4 blot holes in an offset picth. This means that the pulley can go on one way. Yes, if you are not careful, then you can install wrong. If the pulley goes on propperly, then yes, it will be in the correct balance with the HD. Some crank pulley's that I have seen have a little weight welded to them, I guess for balancing? And some of the HD I have seen have the pins in them, some haven't. Good luck.

Back