Motor differences and advise!!

93SCBoharris

hi,
i just bought a 93 sc and it has bad headgaskets but also rattles when running like a very bad lifter rattle, really bad, i think the guy has killed the motor from overheating it, however the car is too nice to part, so i want to build a stock motor to put back in it. I was wanting adivse on which parts to use because i also have an 89 sc that is also automatic with a good engine. Should i just check and rebuild the 89 motor or rebuild the 93 motor and use the 89 heads or what. Does some models have better internals than other like forged or stell stuff?
I'm afraid that the heads on the 93 are damaged, still dunno.
I have the motor removed from the 89 but not the 93 yet.
Please give me advise on what you all would use as a whole or combination to make the best stock motor. I just want to get this car on the road and dependable as possible. My wife is wanting it for her everyday car.
thanks alot and any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also if you need any parts from the 89 i may be able to help ya. I need a radiator also if anyone has a good used one for around 50 dollars or so.

Bo there weren't any significant changes until the '94 model year. Your '89 and '93 engines are pretty much the same internally since they are both automatics. The '89 manual trans engine had a bigger cam but that's about it for '89-'93. The intake vacuum lines were slightly rerouted in '93 and match the '94-'95. If I were in your position I would start rebuilding the '89 because it is already out and you believe it to be in good condition. While the motor is at the machine shop you could be pulling the '93. If there is some damage that would require more money and time to repair in the '93 engine you won't have to worry about it now. If you have both superchargers I would examine them closely and reuse the better one. Examine the inlet plenums concerning the by-pass valves. Look for the one with smooth snap back and less wear in the valve bore and use that plenum. Making the vacuum lines match is not very hard if need be. Use the dampener with the lowest mileage, but if it is high or looks weak you're better off getting a new dampener/pulley assembly from Ford. All other parts can be swapped to use the better of the two you have. For max dependability for your wife get the new dampener and crank/cam sensors.

Vernon

thanks

thanks alot .
i'm really new to super coupes and having access to a site like this means very much. I'm used to turbo dodges so i have very little knowledge of the internals as far as the "good years parts" and etc.

Your advise has been a really big help, I appreciate it. Hopefully i can get it back together with in the next week or two.
thanks again
Bo Harris
www.boharrisracing.com

Back