Hood liner...ever notice?

JAFO

Ever notice the T Bird in the under hood liner? Nice touch!

Some parts of my liner are a little rubbed and torn, I guess from when that motor mount was bad(?). Anyone seen an aftermarket that might have a 'Bird embroidered into it? Either where the stock one is or more towards the middle.

Attachments

• hood liner 015_cropped_small.jpg
    hood liner 015_cropped_small.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 364
The new replacement versions from Ford come like that now that I think about it. I replaced mine last year because it was permanently soaked with SC fluid, and the new one had the bird print.

Bill McNeil said:
The new replacement versions from Ford come like that now that I think about it. I replaced mine last year because it was permanently soaked with SC fluid, and the new one had the bird print.

The plot thickens. As far as I know, mine hasn't been wrecked, although some is repainted, and no receipt for a new one (I got all receipts when buying). I'm assuming mine is original, and most likely is, but maybe not?

Indeed this is really puzzling. Well for those interested, the current part number for that hood pad is F1SZ-16738-A. It lists for $69.30 and I have one on the way for me. I'll let you know if it has the bird in it or not. The parts book shows this to be for all thunderbirds so we will see, I guess. Here's hoping the current number has the bird.

An interesting side note about Ford, I learned quite a few years ago that for 70 Mustangs, like Boss 302s and mustangs with the competition suspension, the export brace pieces were reinforced with welded plates at the rear. Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, had the same part number for the reinforced and non-reinforced braces so you never knew what you would get.

And the journey continues.....

Just a thought: anyone working in a Ford parts dept might look to see if they have this pad and if it has the bird on it.

Last edited:
Hey Lance,
Did you get you liner in? I tried the local dealership, and they just showed the one p/n too.

My 92 has it, but is the same size as the bird on the outside (front of hood) that one looks much bigger.

any consequences in removing the liner? Mine looks all crappy and every time I close the hood it drops dirt on my clean engine bay. I have been told removing the liner my cause the paint to bubble, is that true? Thanks

I haven't heard of any side effects to removing your hood liner, other than your engine will cool off faster when you shut it off. The liner retains some heat in the engine compartment.

Hi, Jafo, guys. Sorry I've been stretched in a hundred directions the past two weeks. My hood liner pad is in waiting for me. I'll let you know what it looks like when I pick it up.

A great week all.

Jafo, everyone, the hood pad I picked up does have the bird embossed in it. The part number is F1SZ-16738-A. It's list is $72.17. I am told that they are not something to worry about Ford dropping anytime soon but you never know. So I guess they all will have the bird embossed in them.

Have a great evening all.

Back