light sputtering....

ChrisPearl95

Guys,

sometimes my car sputters a bit when accelerating. I am thinking it is related to a couple of things.

First, I drive only 5 to 6 minutes to work, so my car never has time to really warm up. Second, it is still relatively cold in Michigan. Also, someone told me that plugs will wear out faster when the car never really warms up. True?

My plugs and wires(both stock replacements) were replaced before I moved here in October of 2001. I have put maybe 15K on the car since that time.

Any ideas?

Chris:rolleyes:

Oh yeah,

I am always around 40 or 45 mph because of the short distance to work and the speed limit. I am in a 25mph for part of the ride. I turn off OD on my 95 so it revs highers, but it still does it from time to time.

Chris

my first guess would be wires, although usually happens when car gets hot so if you ever get a chance to warm it up completely and it gets worse then you know it's something electrical normally. Other things could be o2 sensors(what's your gas mileage like?) or plugs(when did you last change them?) Just some ideas.

Oh yeah Aaron....

o2 sensors were replaced at the same time the wires and plugs were in Sept. 2001.

Or, my downtubes from SCP...are o2 sensors onthe downtubes?

Gas mileage seems to suck, but all small town, start stop driving....constantly. Since its starting to warm up, I will be just riding the highway for the hell of it!:eek:

thanks.

what kind of wires ya got? Plugs will usually last and so will O2's. The O2's are in one of the downtubes and one on the exhaust manifold. Probably not them if you replaced them a year and half ago, unless you blew a headgasket in that time or ran leaded fuel for quite a few miles.

cheap stock replacements

I was planning on magnecores, I had Jacobs before this....my gas mileage seemed to tank after I put them on even on the highway. Had the gapping checked, no improvement so I went back to stock wires.

What kind do you have? Oh, no blown gasket or anything like that.

thanks,

Chris

If they are Ford wires then they probably won't be the prob but if they are aftermarket cheapies from Pep Boys or something I'll almost guarantee they are the prob. I had a set of Borg Warner wires, lifetime warranty yada yada yada, that started to miss after 5,000 miles. I took them back and exchanged them and now I use them as test wires when I need them. I am running Taylor Spiro Pro wires, custom made, and they are good so far. I have only had them in for a couple of months though. I think the concensus is that Ford makes the best wires for the price though. Although mine only ran $50 and they look pretty too, and a nice thing is they have a smooth finish so I can keep them looking good.

don't know the brand....

They would be whatever the mechanic orders as a stock replacement, could be a cheap brand. Maybe I should start there. What's your take on magnecors. I think it probably is related to plugs, missing sounds like the correrct description.

Thanks for your time Aaron,

Chris

Great wires, TOOOOOOOO expensive for my blood, $90 and $142 for their wires. I just can't justify spending $15- $24 a wire. Look into ford wires, never heard one complaint about them except the plain jane gray.

Back