ABS prblem

dkmac

Can anyone help me? I have a 91 XR-7 with the old style ABS sysytem. When I hit my brakes, sometimes the brake and then ABS light will flansh on real quick and go back off and stay off. I and have no weard feelings or stopping problems. I just and to stop those anoying lights so I can sell my car and get a 94 or 95 SC again. Hope some one can help. Thanks God bless.

Mine would do only the abs light until i powerbraked it and it stays on all the time, if anyone knows there are 2 of us now.

More than likely, its the accumulator. My 89 was doing the same thing. The brake light and antilock would flash quickly almost everytime I hit the brake. Every few days or so the brakes would get rock hard for a pump or two, I didnt care really caused they still worked. I ordered a accumulator from Prior a few days ago. I got it this morning and threw in in the trunk. Later I was heading down a backstreet doing like 45 heading for a stop sign, and brakes turned rock hard, i pumped and pumped nothing, downshifted into first (Auto) and grabbed the e-brake. I barely stopped. My e-brake handle would not release, I had to beat the button. I tried going again and the rear brakes were dragging big time. So i figured the e-brake cable was stuck. I still had hard brakes, so I grabbed my new accumulator and changed it. Everything now works great, rear brakes let go and no more flashing lights. My advise, get a accumulator ASAP. Your abs pump probally comes on everytime you push on the brakes. Thats not good, your pump can be overworked, overheat and fail. A new accumulator may not help you, but it sure helped me with those same symptoms.

Yeah.. I havn't driven my '91 in about 3 days. Came out today to go out... the ABS light and the Brake light didn't go out. They stay on and the pedal is stiff as a board.

As i've been reading.. I'm guessing I'm going to be spending some cash to get it working again. Cash I don't have.

Thank yall for your inputs. Yall have been very helpful. Now if I can find out why my FIRM light flashes three times in a row continoulsy while on normal ride that would be great. Thank yall and God Bless. :)

Just got my accumulator tonight from Prior. It cost 99.95 plus shipping. I have all the same problems in this posting. I am hopping to fix the brake and antilight problem. I believe that mine was bad before I purchased my SC. The previous owner did just about ever thing to hide the problem. I have found the pressure switch disconnected, the brake and antilight bulbs removed. Not sure if a bad accumulator has caused my rear brakes to be now shot, but the rotors are scored and are in need of replacing, but they are on order.

silversc90 said:
how much for a accumulator?
From Ford, about $250

ABS Accumulator
P/N E8OY-2C231-A (nipple length= (15.25-15.75)mm (.600-.620)in)
P/N E8OY-2C231-B (nipple length= (11.90-12.10)mm (.476-.469)in)

The advantage of the Ford part is it has a hex fitting on top of unit allows you to tighten it on the car easily And of course, its as good as the OEM part which means it should last for another 10 years. You must check the length before you accept the part though as dealers don't offer refunds or trades.

If you order from Prior, they run about half that much. But it has a nut on the bottom to tighten which makes it harder to tighten after installation. Torque spec is 35 lbs but you can get by with less as long as it doesn't leak. The Prior unit has the shorter fitting which will work in both the smaller and longer inserts.

Back