big brake owners

James Kanteraki

just thought of this right now.

You guys with 13 inch rotors. you require the 17in. wheels, yeah i get that. i already have mine.

Question is what do you do for a spare????

I haven't check for certain but am betting the old spare just won't fit. What kind of solutions are there?

thanks
jim

I changed to the 4.5" 'stang bolt pattern at the same time, so I keep a Cobra temp spare in the trunk.

I am pretty screwed as fas as a spare is concerned. I have 4 piston AP racing calipers with 13" rotors and a T-Bird bolt pattern so the stock spare won't fit on the front. I also have a 285/40/17 on the rear so there goes the idea of swapping a rear tire and wheel on the front flat and putting the spare on the rear.
I am thinking about getting a spare 17" wheel and putting that in the trunk as a spare...Right now I have the stock spare in case of a rear flat and some spare in a can for the front in an emergency.

Lincoln Spare

For those who have changed to the Lincoln front brakes,could you just use a Lincoln 17 inch spare.Like from the 2002 Lincoln.

I was driving around last summer with the now-useless stock spare in my trunk ... I have the 13" brakes with Mustang pattern. But I did borrow a spare from a friend's Bullitt Mustang for the trip to Carlisle last year, I wasn't crazy enough to go that far from home without a proper one. I've ordered in a 03 Town Car / Grand Marquis 17" steel spare wheel at work, cheaper than the Cobra spare wheel, and actually a bit more positive offset too ... the 03 full size cars had a suspension and brake makeover that puts the hubs out much farther in the fenders than the previous cars. Just have to verify that it will go over the big brakes, but the inside "barrel" of the wheel looks pretty big, should be fine. Buying a new 17" mini-spare tire is a real kick in the wallet though, even at wholesale price. :mad:

But if you have the 13" brakes with T-Bird bolt pattern, I can't think of any mini-spare that would do the job.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I'm in the same boat as Tony, as far as the 13" brakes and different sized tires. I was thinking of finding either a LS or Volvo 17" spare. It would be the right bolt pattern, but I'm still not sure of clearance. I guess I could check someday at work.

Thomas

Instead of spare tire. How about putting the below in that space?
1. DC cigarette lighter air compressor
2. Plugs like the ones they use at gas stations
3. Spray bottle with soapy water
4. Flashlight

I don't think the Lincoln LS spare rim would be large enough to clear Cobra front brakes ... the rotors on those cars are a bit under 12" diameter, and the 17s on those cars don't clear the calipers and rotors by very much. I'll see if can get some measurements off of one at the dealership ...

cheers
Ed N.

Ah, now that you mention that, I remember seeing that. I was looking at the one we have on the show room, and I did notice just how close they were.

Thomas

everyone,

thanks for the help and ideas. for those of you that have direct access to plausable options please check them out and let everyone on the board know.

the only other idea i had was to cut out the bucket in the trunk (space where mini spare goes) and to weld in my own replacement bucket that would fit a fullsize wheel and tire. BUT this is still an idea, i haven't even checked to see if there is room under the car.
Although one thing i am hopeful of is this. the total diameter at the top of the bucket seems to be big enough. the only problem i saw was that the the area is curved, i was thinking of making something that was "like" extruded straight down.

I'll have to take a better look at the car.

what do you guys think of this?? I know one thing is that the total rigidity of the car would be slightly compromised, but i think i could solve that by putting a bar across the top of the tire, and have it bolted in place. (maybe)

jim

How far do you think the car would get if you turn the spare around???
it would look like those low riders but it migt work?

Ricardo,

that sounds almost too simple, but a real possibility. If I had the SilverBird at home I'd run out and try it. If anyone tries it please post.

Lee

I think that it would probably place the tire right out at the edge of the fender opening ... and if I'm not mistaken, most steel rims have a raised circular ridge around the wheel stud area to prevent you from doing that.

cheers
Ed N.

A spacer?

Get a steel plate cut and drilled to fit inside would be a lot easier and cheaper than another 17" wheel & tire. Plus do you really think that skinny spacesaver is gonna stick out further than my 255's? :rolleyes: I'm only looking to get to the nearest garage.

Thanks for the input, you're making me think (even tho it hurts my head). I'm gonna take a look when I can get it back on the street. ;)

Last edited:
Are there "big brakes" in the rear. If not couldn't you just put the spare on one of the rears then move that rim to the front if it was flat? It would be a pain and I might not know what I am talking about but seems like it would work to me.

I got eagle gsc run flats 255/45zr17's and 285/40zr17's and they are better than any tire i have had on there, my car is on rails.
joe

Back