weird sound & power loss

talonhead

Was coming home last night winding it up in 3rd, drawing some hard vac still accelerating on way to 4th when it started to detonate, then just as I was backing off of the pedal there was was what sounded like a sputtering exhaust leak started. Power seamed to drop off, like i'd lost a cylinder. Idle is a little rough, and definate loss of power.

Was worried that I may have blown another head gasket. Let it sit overnight and it started right up but same symptoms.

Had something simular happen on different car way back when. It turned out to be a converter that the inside blew out and clogged up the pipe. Checked out the exhaust and than being the standard restrictive factory junk, ....nada.

Can't really hear much in the engine bay as the tensioner rollers are so noisey.

Going to pull out the Bosch's and put Motorcrafts back in, sea if there are any clues while I'm at it.

As always, suggestions are welcome, all help appreciated.

Mike

Getting rid of the Bosch's is an excellent idea as well as checking the cats. Do you have EGR? I used to have the same problem with my 5 speed SC, once when my air bypass behind the SC was stuck, I only had to spray it with WD40 to fix. I had it again after I replaced my SC, it turned out to be the EGR hose to the transducer was off and then I replaced it with the wrong type of hose, which has to be silicone and not rubber. Also do an intake air leak test. Deal with it ASAP because detonation weakens your head gaskets. Can you put the stock MAF back on? Good luck

power loss

Exhaust seems fine. How ever #6 plug was soaking wet with fuel!
All others were fine. Don't have an air compressor to pressurize to find if theres a leak at head/intake. Going to check plug wires also. Any-body know how much a DIS costs? Could this be a problem and could you comparision check between coil sides of the pack?
No on the MAF. It's the original, it's been modified for 3+ years.

I think you've found your problem, if the coil pack was bad, I think 2 of the plugs would be fouled since they work in pairs. You would have more problems if the DIS was bad, but I see them for $50 to $100. I think it is just the crappy Bocsh plugs or the wire for #6. Good luck

Back