Blown tranny......

pearl95sc

Okay, at about 4am, coming home. Had car maxed, at about 4000rpm in OD. Started to slow down, when the car drops out of OD and back into regular drive. Thought maybe I might have nudged the shifter. Checked, it was still in OD. I get to my exit, and make it to the gas station. Get out, tell the others who were following I think I blew OD. Figure, oh well, this can happen to anyone. But it gets better. I put car into reverse, and it isn't there. Now I am a little ticked. Have enough room squeeze out goin forward, so I do, start to take off, and realize, It went from first to third. Tried dropping it back into 1 to see if second would engage, and it just revved. So I make it to IHOP, so we can all eat. And first gear has this grinding noise and doesn't feel like it is engaged all the way. Sounds like rolling a metal rod on hardwood floors. Only gear that works without problems is third.

So here is what I ask. What in gods name happened. My thoughts are as follows.

broke one of the input shafts
blew apart the separator plates
trans might just be junk

Any thoughts anyone, tranny is only about 3 months old, and has about 5000 miles on it. I just can't see a tranny failing so soon. I beat the hell out of the old one and it had no OD, and a sluggish first, and never did anything like this.

Sorry to hear that, I feel your pain because the same thing happened to me after owning an AOD for a month, except I didn't have any gear that would work and whenever I put it in gear, the car would die. Not only that, but when I got the back wheels off the ground, started the engine, put it in gear, the wheels would turn until I applied the brakes, because thats when the noise would start again and that would kill the engine. At first I thought it was the TC so I replaced it but no dice, the problem still remained. I ended up replacing the whole AOD and installed a 24,000lb B&M style cooler and that fixed my problem. I never got around to taking the old one apart to find out what went wrong. If I have any problem with it in the future, I'll convert to a 5 speed because I'm still not happy and I'm insecure with the AOD.
Good luck

Back