OK, so why aren't we using NOS?

Aaron Pedroza

I have been seriously considering getting a 100-150 shot kit for my car once everything else is working correctly. There are all these fancy parts out there that cost a ton of money to make the car fast but we are avoiding the cheapest power out there. I only noticed a couple of guys using it on the Fastest SC list. What's up? I was looking at the front mount IC kit for $1500!!!!!! for 35 hp, my god I can get 150 hp for about $750. Anybody using it with track times let me know what it did for you and what your using?

Cost, Cost,ect........

First you are always refilling the bottle=$$ Second, if you don't know what you are doing, it gets very $$$ when you do a melt down. Thrid, its more fun doing it the hard way. Fourth, if I had a nos on my daily driver, I would be filling the bottle more than the gas tank. Fifth, when the bottle runs out in the middle of a race,you get lots of egg on your face... Do it the hard way and have it there anytime you want or need... That's my way of looking at this,and before someone gets down on this, many years ago I helped the guys at NOS come up with a working two stage NOS system for one of my toys. So yes I do use it, but only when there is nothhing else left to do... Did someone say 100 yard mud drags in LESS than 3 seconds!!!! that is fast and that is what it did for me.....Rich

Well, I am a pretty mellow driver unless challenged. If you were to put a 100 shot on, how many passes do you get with a bottle?

Ok I answered my question on passes, 100 shot should give me 10-15 passes and cost about $30 to refill at a place around the corner from me.

Well lets see if cost is a concern, that would be at least 300 passes with the cost of the system and refills to match the front mount IC, and it would be about 70 more ponies.

I know it's kind of cheating but if you're losing then just flick the switch and show him where it's at. most cars can't beat a low 13 second car anyway and if you find one that can it usually has a lot of work done to it and you might need that extra second from a bottle in the trunk. Besides wouldn't that really piss Jim off if I came up and whooped his butt with a bottle.

Last edited:
Ya, i was looking at the ZEX kit actually, NOS is just easier to say and have everyone know what I am talking about. The nice thing about the Zex kit is that it can be hidden much easier. I was also looking into a progressive controller so I can use as much nitrous down the track as traction will permit.

My impression is that many of the people around here with the drive, and/or money to refine their car are still refining it. N2O is a power adder that takes you above and beyond what the engine would be capable of otherwise.

So many are still trying to find out what the engine is capable of before throwing that little bit more on top of it. Once they hit that peak, then it might be time for N2O.

Keeping in mind that regular N2O use requires a very sturdy engine. Many people are still trying to build that Sturdy engine as well.

(Not to mention transmission problems, differential problems, and half shaft problems.)

it puts a ton of strain on your engine, so if your car isn't really solid you can mess it really really good

Well I have tons of work in the bottom end because I have intended to eventually get N20. Cranks good, Eagle rods, forged pistons, bucks in the heads, copper head gaskets. I think it is time for me. I don't really have the time I used to to tinker with this thing so a nice shot of power is an easy way out. I have another question though, can you mount an external fuel pump and have the in tank pump without any probs?

Think on this...

You can do a second pump down line, that will keep the gas flowing. Now if you put a fuel cell in the trunk,and ran another fuel line to feed the nos system you could be sure that you have plenty of gas.. There are ten gal. fuel cells that fit right in the spare tire hole, or you can do as I did and put a 17 gal. one in there and have plenty of gas to go for a while... Just remember that whatever you do make sure that it is all turned off with the engine... Good luck....Rich

Now that's an idea. That is getting pretty steep in cost then. I would have to go with direct port injection then. I wonder how much nitrous my engine could handle? I'm thinking 150 would be just about maxed out.

Aaron Pedroza said:
Well I have tons of work in the bottom end because I have intended to eventually get N20. Cranks good, Eagle rods, forged pistons, bucks in the heads, copper head gaskets. I think it is time for me. I don't really have the time I used to to tinker with this thing so a nice shot of power is an easy way out. I have another question though, can you mount an external fuel pump and have the in tank pump without any probs?

I have been wondering the same question myself. The NOS system indicates we should be able to run a 75 shot on a stock setup.

I'm mainly considering the Zex kit cause I've seen it in action on a 3.8 supercharged motor. Aaron, with your mods, you should be able to easily take a 100 shot.....our main concern here is the HG's which you have the best you can get with the copper.

These cars, in terms of bolt on mods are very lame. With the exception of the exhaust, other bolt ons are just minor power adders....but n2o is a cheap alternative. Fast is fast.

Wayne Ing took his 89 SC to a 13.3 pass with very minor bolt ons and nitrous. His 92 with tons more work, only managed a .3 second difference in his time.

I say go for it, cause I know....I certainly am :D

Didnt Wayne Ing blow his HG's like 4 or 5 times with 100 shots? Seems like 75 shot is the safest way to go.. My SC is getting a 100-120 shot.. With the stock bottom end and with the built bottom end after i blow the stock one.. I have a 12 gal fuel cell that i plan to fill with 110 octane with -10 braided lines feeding into an Aeromotive fuel pump.. That should be sufficient for my needs... The goal? 12's with a stock early style M90 and stock IC :D

Good luck with that one. Stock head gaskets and no real head work and I'll bet you blow them first pass. A lot of people tried it a few years back and they blew their gaskets fast. I even remember Bill Hull trying a 150 shot with a lot of head work but stock gaskets and blew them on his first run. I'm hopeing bigger valves, a ton of porting and copper gaskets will hold together better.

They blow... Then they blow.. Actually my real intention is to split the block in half.. That would be cool.. LoL.. I never said i wanted to stay in the 12's :D

Not for me.

That much more pressure on the engine leaves me a little nervous. :eek:

But my focus is running some of the best "twisties" in the world here in the SoCal mountains. That just requires "good" power, a well setup suspension and brake upgrades. Plus a little guts when you look down. :D

With your goals and setup and needing to save time and money, I don't think there's a better way to do it if you're willing to push the engine that hard. I also agree the 75 is probably the best way to go. ;)

BTW: You missed a great tri-chapter meet in Bakersfield yesterday. A good turnout from NoCal, SoCal and SW. Including a few non-member who joined us, there were 25 vehicles and another 1/2 dozen members that couldn't get their cars there for one reason or another. And your name did come up over dinner. ;)

Attachments

• bakercolltxts.jpg
    bakercolltxts.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
I will have to jump in on this conversation in about three days.

Attachments

• mvc-831f.jpg
    mvc-831f.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 126
That meet looks cool, I'm sorry I missed it. I'll be making it to the next one. Did a little work on the car yesterday and it seems to be running better than ever. It's coming along. Now all I have to do is a little more tuning and fix an exhaust leak and it's ready to run.

Check the SoCal Forum

Next month's a cruise out of Escondio followed by Carlsbad in May. Looking forward to seeing you. ;)

Kurt & Wendy were complaining about lack of participation in the North and pointing @ what SoCal's been doing. I think they were a little happier after yesterday, but SoCal does seem to be really rolling these days. With all the scheduled events, participation is way up. :D

zex1.jpg

Ok, where's your nozzle at? Inlet before intake? How much of a shot do you give it and what about track times? Anything else you want to share?

Back