Correct part no for man trans assy?

windstarpro

I went to the Mercury dealership here to find a transmission and they are telling me that there are 4 different no.s that service my car, or 4 different transmissions. All of them are m5r2. I didn't know that there was more than one. I found a no. on the side of my case, and it turned out not to match anything they had. Is there a number that will just work with my car? Its an '89 Cougar XR7 with a 5 speed. If not where do I find the no that the dealer is looking for?
Dave
MM3-N USN

The original tranny should be something like E9SR 7003 AA ... but I don't think the dealer is going to be able to help you for a replacement ... new ones were gone long ago, and I don't think Ford has rebuilt units available, they don't here in Canada anyway. There is a company in the U.S. called Southern Gear, phone number is 770-435-1461 ... they can offer you a rebuilt unit on an exchange basis. If you perform a search on the forums with the "Southern Gear" as the subject, you'll come up with a bunch of related threads on manual trans. stuff.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back