spacers?

ChrisPearl95

Guys, any of youever use spacers? I have heard some people say they ran them for years with no problems. Any SC guys ever use them?

thanks.

Are you talking about a phenolic spacer between the upper/lower intake on a 5.0. I have had one on my Mustang since about 1993 with no problems. It minimizes heat transfer between mated metal materials. My Mustang is supercharged with a centrifigal blower also.

Bob

Chris, do you need small spacers for clearance with the new wheels ? How much are we talking here ?? I've used the thin Mr. Gasket spacers before, around 1/4" thick, with no troubles. Ideally, wheel spacers shoud be hubcentric, but with ones it's not a huge concern. You definitely need to be careful that you still have enough thread engagement on the wheel studs, minimum is at least 1/2". Most of the off-the-shelf 5-stud wheel spacers I've ever seen have been for 5 on 4-1/2", 5 on 4-3/4", and 5 on 5" bolt pattern, so they would probably have to be "modified" with a file or a die grinder to work on the SC 5 on 4-1/4" pattern.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Hey Ed....

My front caliper was touching the wheel. I think having it lowered may be the issue. I did find 3/8(.375) inch spacers which seem to work fine. Is this small enough to not cause an issue realisticly?

I do think that when I get the big brakes that the issue will go away. The rotor will be taller, therefore the claiper will sit higher. Again it was just barely touching so the extra height should clear it with no problem.

BTW, my center cap decals are at the post office, Bob sent them certified mail, so they have been siting there for 3 days. SO, I will pcik them up tomorrow....take a pix, if it doesn't rain and post in a couple of days.

Thanks sir,

have a good one.

Chris

Oh yeah, they look goooooood, no more fender gap :p :D :) :cool: ;)

So the calipers were touching in the hub face area of the wheels ?? A 3/8" spacer should be fine, as I said, as long as you have at least 1/2" of thread engagement on the wheel studs, shouldn't be any trouble.

BTW, started up my beastie and took it out of the garage today for the first time since the crappy weather hit at the end of November ... the car feels really low, the outside mirrors are really small, and of course it feels really fast compared to the F-150 4x4 with Off-Road Pkg. that I've been driving around in for the last few months !! :D

cheers
Ed N.

yep Ed....

The caliper was touching the wheel in that area. AND, got the decals today, too small. So I am going to take some picx without the decals for now and have them up this week.

Chris:mad:

hmmm Ricardo...

Good question, maybe we can charge our good friend Ed N. to see what he can find through his ford connections.

Hello Ed, is this thing on ?????

:D :) :eek: :p ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek:

Chris

I'm not aware of any manufacturers selling the 3" long race-type wheel studs in metric thread sizes, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I'd suggest getting a sample of the stock wheel studs, measuring the knurl diameter where they fit into the hubs, and comparing that to Mustang studs to see if you can use some of the 1/2" diameter thread long studs for that application.

cheers
Ed N.

i forget the guys name, but the guy who runs in one lap america, (miny me) has them. in his V8 SC. I saw them.
does anyone know his contact info maybe we can ask him where he got them?

That would be Ted Lyon's car, link HERE ... he has Cobra brakes, I'd venture to guess that he probably has Mustang hubs with 1/2" diameter wheel studs as well. Shoot him a message and ask, he'll get back to you, Ted's a good guy.

cheers
Ed N.

Back