Odd buzzing sound coming from rear of car.

syphon

So when my car is cold, and I drive, I hear a buzzing noise coming from the rear of the car. Sometimes it gets really loud. Lately it's been getting worse. If I stop somewhere for an hour or so.. it'll buzz when I come back to the car.

The buzzing sound is definately something like a small electric motor... it's not bearings. In fact, it ONLY happens when the car is moving, no matter how I rev the engine. If it's in park, the noise wont happen.

It only happens at fairly low RPM's. When I hear the buzzing noise, if I give it a good deal of gas the engine will rev fine and the noise will stop.

Now, even though my car is making this odd noise, I havent had a single problem because of it. As far as I can tell, its harmless. But I'm worried it might develop into worse.

What do you guys think could be causing this noise?

My guess is that it might be your fuel pump. I would get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure. Unfortunatley it might check out fine and still be on its way out. Sometimes fuel pumps give no warning before they quit working. One second working, next second broke.

Bob

How much is a fuel pump? Is it difficult to replace? Any advantages to going with a larger one (or would it be a waste of money without more mods)?

Anywhere I can read up on how to replace it?

Last edited:
Check out the brake dust shields, I had one that was cracked at one of the attachment holes. This causes it to resonate as you apply torque and drive train vibration is transmitted to the axles. I found it when I was doing the rear brakes. Installed a large diameter washer and no more buzzing.
Check it out, cheaper than a new pump.
Mike

Back