Made it to the 4th round out of 6 tonight.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
Well, I started the day by accidently cutting off a Honda big time when changing lanes on I-85; he was right in my blind spot. Fortunately, I had just punched it and taken off like a shot and pulled away from him. Whew, duh! Beeeep honk, honk, honk. Finally, at Atlanta Dragway I easily beat a 70's Dodge Charger in my 1st time trial but on my 2nd time trial when I launched, it yanked me back in the seat so hard that I pulled it out of gear into neutral. By the time I got it back in gear I only ran a 14.67 with a 3.2, 60' time. Oh well, on to eliminations. I dialed in a 13.35 since I was a tad slower than last time. Well, my 2 pit mates had a Camaro and an Olds Gutless and they were ragging my *** about my Ford. All in good fun you understand. Of course, they constantly tweaked on theirs and I never touched mine except to feel how hot it was. Well revenge and the last laugh were mine as I eliminated both of them one after the other. And they didn't want to talk about it back in the pits, either. I got your classic brush off there. I then took out a lady driven 98 Mustang for my 3rd win. On my last run against last years champ (he wanted a rematch) I again got him off the line with a .553 r/t. But we double broke out and he was closer. I'd dropped my dial-in to 13.25 since it had gotten chilly but ran a 13.197. The Mustang ran a 13.822 on a 13.85 dial-in. But hey, what a way to break out, huh, I even got another sub 2.0(1.967) 60' time. That was my 3rd fastest time. All my elimination run r/t's were sub .600. I've got that light figured out for those .5xx r/t's. I have to launch as I see the light increase in intensity but not when it 1st comes on. If I wait till that last yellow is fully lit then I run a .7xx and if I launch as it comes on I'll red light. If they switch to LED's I'm dead, it'll screwup my timing. I should be either still in the points lead or tied for the lead with 160. People are starting to notice this Super Coupe. 3 guys came over to talk about it during the evening. It was another good night.

congrats

Congratulations Mike; So when the pro scouts from NHRA come and take you away to the bigtime and put you in a top fuel car dont forget us little guys LOL.

Nice job. You even beat that Mustang in E.T. regardless of the brackets. Good luck this season. Do you have a page where you have your mods listed? I am just curious what it takes to get a 5-speed knocking on the door of 12's.

Keep up the good work.

Go to the members page and find my listing under the 1990's. I've got the whole list there. I'm going to start on my next generation engine this summer with the short block I bought. Something that happened on the run behind me, a 69 Mustang burst a heater hose about 60' out and spun completely around in the fluid ending up on the other side of the track but kept it off the wall. The guy in the burnout box said all of a sudden the car was turned around and pointed right at him. He said he stuck it in reverse to get out of the way. Fortunately everyone was able to laugh about it later. This can get exciting. We've got 9 more dates for the year.

Back