disabling third brake light

Tazer999

how would I go about doing it? I tried to just take the bulbs out of it but for some reason that creates a power drain and kills my batter after about a day.

How can I make it stop lighting up.

thnx

one it is illegal, and you will be pulled over when a cop sees you. As far as I know it should not drain your battery. You could try putting in burnt out bulbs in there. Or cut into the wiring and put in a switch to kill power going to them, at least this way you could turn it back on for inspection.

actually the way its setup now is illegal.. Your not allowed to have 4 brake lights apparently

You shouldn't have 4. Just the Tail lights in the rear and the third brake light in the rear window. Having 2 bulbs in one housing should not make it illegal. That is the way it came from the factory. But if that is what you want just install a switch. But the third brake light was mandatory since 1985.

The wiring harness to mine had a short and it was blowing fuses every day. So instead of paying $115 for a new harness I popped the trunk, traced the wiring down behind the carpet where it plugs into another harness, and just unplugged it. No problems since.

I have seen one SC where they took the housing completely off put new carpet on the rear deck to make it look like there was never a bulb there in the first place.

I did get stopped one night for it, but in the 3 years I have been running it that way this was the only cop who stopped me. He saw me coming out of a bar one night and I think he was using that as an excuse to stop me. Most cops don't even pay that close attention as long as it has two brake lights, one on either side of your car that function properly they don't seem to care. Sure it might be illegal but most cops have better things to do than count brake lights. The cop didn't even give me a ticket because I explained to him about the wiring harness problem. If I ever go to a junk yard I'll yank a harness but for now its not on my list of priorities.

Plus my windows are tinted so dark you can't even see the 3rd light housing. Both of my SC's are that way. In the 90 I just pulled the bulbs cuz for some reason it'd blow one bulb every month. I got sick of changing them so I pulled them both.

I have a friend with a 94 SC who took out the third brake light, and took one of those long strips of brake lights you see on the back of some cadillacs and put that in the black slit underneath "THUNDERBIRD SC" it fit perfectly and looks awesome when he hit the brake, like a big smiley face.... lol.
Damon

id like to see someone come up with a set of lights to actually go INTO the "thunderbird SC" strip and come on when the brakes are applied.

pete: actually I have already seen 2 sc's that have that

scott: thnx, I will look for the connector and unplug it

damon: mine was setup like that only it said something different. It got annoying after awhile, thats why I am disabling it

1badsc: yes I do have 4 brake lights, the other one is the led strip on the spoiler

Back