Pulley takes a dive..Need some advice.

Tryin2keepHer

Hey Guys,

I'm a serious rookie on the SCCOA site. I just had a major glitch yesterday, and i figured this would be the best place to go and get some good advice.

I have a 1990 5 spd. SC. She runs pretty good for having just over 138,000 miles. I've had moderate work done to keep the engine alive, but yesterday, one of those wierd engine breaks happened. As I was driving on a local highway, the lower main belt pulley just snapped right off the engine! This is the main belt pulley closest to the ground. As a flat bed came to the rescue , we noticed that the bolt that holds the pulley had completely snapped in half! The threaded part of the bolt is still in it's mounted position in the engine, so it looks like the mechanics are going to have to back that part out before re-installing the pulley. Am I looking at a possible re-financing of my home to get this problem fixed? I love my SC..She's sweet, but problems like this have me wondering how much longer I can hold on to her.
ANY suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
DJ

maybe 5-700US complete at a shop.

remove rad fan, maybe rad also

remove old seal and pry out whats left of the balancer(looks like a collar)

drill old bolt

ez out old bolt

install new crank seal

install new balancer preferably(with old balance pins transfered)

buy late model mustang 3.8 crank bolt and washer

one option is to get the upgraded BHJ balancer for about 350-400US.

Im sure someone will post more details
As long as someone doesnt drill out the crank threads it'll be fine:D

I've done this in 20 minutes on a hoist the first time, I've heard some take several hours...well and some end up messing the crank. Always have new sharp drill bits and make sure its perfectly centered with a center punch before drilling.ALWAYS make a "pilot" hole, I used about 4? different sizes going up to just over 1/4"(depends)

Hey man, (laughing) ..thanks for the advice..Cool name!
5-700 bucks does not sound too bad. I really want to keep my SC and start putting some restoration work into her. I plan on becomming a member of the SCCOA club. The car is a looker, and I'd hate to part with it.
I'd appreciate keeping contact with ya from time to time on any advice for restoration, or upgrades to the engine, an the car as a whole.

Thanks again!
Dj
Dynamo919@comcast.net

Do not use the old balancer if its been off the crankshaft. It will not fit tight as its supposed to and it will break off again. My friends was reinstalled and it actually worked fine for a while, then one day the whole back half of the opening on it cracked and it damn near fell off.

Hey Fellas, You've all been a big help. I've read all the threads, and you all DEFINETLY understand my problem. That's why I want to become a active member of this community. I'm not gurage equipped so I'm at the mercy of a Mechanic. Once I get his price on fixing the damage, I'll be back on to get some opinions on if his price is reasonable.
Once again thanks for all your advice, and suggestions, and feel free to send me any email on any other things I should have checked or upgraded on a : 1990 SC (5 speed manual Transmission )
Thanks everyone!
Dj
Dynamo919@comcast.net

Perhaps now would be a good time for some ASP or March alluminum underdrive pulleys! Along with a reduced load & thus strain on the engine, I've heard they can give back up to 15 horsepower.

Back