whats it worth to replace a water pump?? $$?

Its not really all that complicated. You could probably do it yourself and save paying someone a labor charge. I could do it in an hour. Only problem I remember is that bracket from behind the ps pulley that mounts to the water pump. I removed it so it won't bother me again.

Other than that you take the belt off, take the pulley off, and remove the bolts, prep the surface, install new gasket and some silicone, put on new pump, tighten bolts, let it dry, fill it up, check for leaks, and then put the pulley and belt back on.

Its a friday night job, will require about 1 case of beer! I'd let the silicone dry overnight to assure it.

i'd think bout that if i had my bro to help....and his tools lol, but i don't and i'd be doing it on the side of the road lol.

but how bout the actual water pump itself (i'm thinkin it's not turning and letting water through....or at least the pulley connected to it has ceased and the belt doesn't run very nicely over it.

surely the water pump is more than just a gasket isn't it?

there is a blade wheel on the back that spins and flows water through the block. If you can't turn it easily, then the bearing for the shaft is probably shot. Don't drive the car like this, it will over heat and damage ****.

Are you saying its seized? If you remove the belt and can't turn it by hand, then yea.. its toast. Not to common, mostly they just leak real bad when they go. I replaced mine 2 wks ago, $82 part from Azone (New is the only way to go with certain Azone parts) and $30 for the pulley tool, and antifreeze, and then about 4 hours of work.
More if you do what I did and remove and back flush the radiator off the car; patch/glue/drill/fix the plastic HB cover pieces; clean the engine; clean all the old permatex off the bolts (very bad for the threads); and tap out the threads (cuz of the permatex). Oh, and I removed the crank pulley initially because I couldn't find the leak. That's also what prompted me to repair the cover.

If you have decent tools, and the puller tool (which you can borrow from Azone), its not a hard job at all. I'd expect a shop to quote around 3 hours and couple hundred for it; Like say $200 or so + parts. But, they won't do it like I did; don't count on an engine cleaning or coolant flush. And if the threads are gummed up, then they'll probably just strip the threads and force it back in :eek:

If you're mechanical, go for it. If not, get some help. If no help available, take it to the shop and request they clean the threads if they need it. You don't want any seized or stripped bolts later on. Tell them not to torque the pump bolts past 10lbs as the metal is soft.

Go with a new Ford part, its $90. Don't go cheap on the parts.

The water pump is actually an easy job on this car:) compared to just about everything else. Just rent a powersteering pulley tool in order to get the bracket that goes between the PS pump and the water pump.

Clean all surfaces. Coat the sealing surfaces whith a thin film of gasket cement and bolt it back up. One bolt does go into the water jacket, so look for that one whe it comes out and put a smal amount of RTV or gasket sealer on the threads when replacing.

If you need a scan of the manual pages for this let me know.

Aaron

Scott, just FYI, if you want a new Ford water pump, I have them on my lists of specials for $79.95 CAN + taxes and shipping ... check out the list off the link in my sig.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

WATER PUMP

Had mine done by FORD IN PA. costs 320.00 + parts and labor.......if it wasn,t cold I would have done it myself......................FAST FREDDIE.............:mad: :mad: :confused:

Ouch... that sucks.

The guy I bought my SC from cut that bracket with a sawzall. I just removed it when I did the head gaskets. On my 92 I took it off when the p/s hose got replaced. I think that bracket is worthless. Its just a p.i.t.a. to remove just to do the water pump.

Re: WATER PUMP

ThunderRoad said:
Had mine done by FORD IN PA. costs 320.00 + parts and labor.......if it wasn,t cold I would have done it myself......................FAST FREDDIE.............:mad: :mad: :confused:
320 + parts + labor... :confused: I'd ask them what exactly my $320 bought me then. LOL.

Anyway, I know what you meant and actually, that seems reasonable for shop work and the WP isn't all that easy. Not hard, but there are plenty of ways to screw it up.

WATER PUMP

I guess I should clear it up.....................that was for everything.................................antifreeze also.....................FAST FREDDIE;) :rolleyes:

Back