New BHJ HB and UD pullies, got questions

94scnflt

OK, I got my new BHJ HB today. I own a '94 sc and the crank sensor ring on the old HB sits off of it, but if I transfer it to the new BHJ it sits flush on it. This doesn't seem right to me at all, how is it going to work. Also, the alternator pulley is to tight and wont spin and I only put the nut on with my fingers, is there suppose to be a spacer and if there is, I won't have enough threads to tighten the nut down all the way. The pulley set was ordered through SCP and it is the March polished set. Please help.

You do need a spacer for the alt pully. Do a search for asp pullys (sp) and you should get all the info you need.

Where did you get the pullies fom?(never mind, I see now) They should have told you that you would need a spacer ring for the alternator pulley. You can get one at any hardware store. I have the March set too, yet to put them on, but they did come with the spacer ring.

As for the BHJ unit, I also have one. I swapped mine in last summer. From what I can remeber the ring was a none issue. I did have to hone out the inside diameter of the BHJ unit, about .0025". I aslo stuck it in the oven for about 15 mintues. On a low setting, no need to "cook" the elastimer. Anyway, I can say that there where no toubles with the BHJ unit when I installed it.

I installed a new crank senesor too. Cheap insurance while you are right at it. Have a look at the font main seal too. Again, A cheap part. The tool can be rented from any rental center.

Good luck. Both are good upgrades.

You may have received the early model BHJ. There are two different styles for Sc's the 89-93 and the 94-95. Did you buy it from a reseller like SCP or BTM? Or get it second hand?

I ordered the BHJ from SCP and I talked to Bill and he knows it is a '94 and the reciept that came said '94 BHJ on it. Did I get the wrong one? Also, I got a new sensor and seal so I will put those is when I put her back together. The only thing I got with that alt. pulley was a lock washer, is that what I am suppose to use on the back side behind the pulley between it and the alt? Thanks for the help.

It really doesn't matter what you use for a spacer as long as it fits over the shaft and clears the case. I had to make one by grinding down a large washer to fit. If the lock washer will fit into the alternator case and pushes the pulley off enough to let it spin then use it.

Vernon

Sounds like you got the wrong damper.

BHJ was originally going to make a spacer for the 94-95's that would be separate and an additional $50. After working up the CNC program, they decided it would be easier just to make a slight change to raise the sensor mounting surface up that extra 1/2" that the newer models needed.

Good luck,
Steve

Now I'm getting pissed!!!!

OK, that stupid lock washer didn't work and I went to the hardware store and couldn't find another one that would work. I am going to call March tomorrow when they are open and talk to them. I have heard that ASP has the same problem, where do these people get there measurements when they make these?
I talked to Bill E. about the BHJ HB that he has never heard of people having this problem, but I know that something isn't right. Does anyone have a number to BHJ or a website. I need help. Thanks.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Back