questions after magnaport II install

cinstral

SCCoA Member
installed the magnaport II setup with the mp inlet plenum and mp sc top. its a noticeable increase in power, but its not really "blowing my skirt up" but i imagine that it is because of the throttle body, maf, intake tube, and airbox all being stock. changing these items should really let the mp II shine, right?

anyways, the real question is about injectors. my current mods are:

removed air silencer
mp inlent plenum
mp II blower (stock pulley, will soon have 10%OD)
mp sc top
kooks headers
high flow cats
flowmaster cat-back
march underdrive pullies

are the stock injectors nearing their limit? or are they over their limit? if i need to upgrade, should i go with 38lbs or 42lbs?

Thanks,

p.s. - i have lots of comparison pics of the stock inlet plenum, sc, and sc top, vs. the MP units if anyone wants them. and does anyone know if the early 90's 5.0 stangs use the same mafs that we can use? i guess the sensor plug would determine that?

OK....

If you got the Stock 89 MAF which is 55MM then you are comitting a crime with all the money you got wrapped up into the MPII stuff...;) ...Don't tell me ya gotta paper filter as well...

Far as Injectors are concerned, I doubt you are in much trouble right now...Cam or headwork will take you into the bigger Inj zone...If it were me I think I would go bigger regardless...You can go up to 38# without a chip or EEC Tuner in most cases...

Brad

Like Brad said, it's not going to be very impressive with a stock MAF and TB. I think you are getting very close to needing larger injectors. I know once you open up the TB and MAF it will need them.

I would go with a 255 forced induction pump and a set of 42s. That will cover you past 400 HP.

Remember...the extra power comes from your engine's ability to burn more fuel, which is made possible by flowing more air.

David

Last edited:
yeah, thats what i thought about the intake. as far as "comitting a crime", lol yeah, i guess so, but i sent the blower off when Magnum was doing the NJ group buy, so it saved me a couple hundred $. so i just had to do it. :D and haven't really found the money to get the other stuff since then. (tranny dieing, balancer went...)

thanks for the input on injectors.

(still wondering if the pre '94 stangs use a maf that will plug into our cars, my bro has a 76mm he will give me! :D )

thanks,

Take that MAF and put it on your car. Get a set of torx or tamper-proof torx (been awhile so I don't recall) and remove the black electronics sensor from your MAF and put it on the 76mm MAF. That should help you a little. You will need at least a 70mm throttle body, a new air intake kit, and definately larger injectors and a bigger fuel pump. If you put that 10% pulley on the new blower you will be forcing in a lot of air and not have enough fuel to compensate. Your car will run lean.. and... well I'm sure you know the story.

Looking at what Dave gained from the blower and inlet plenum combo I think they are noticeable gains. We'll find out soon when I get around to upgrading mine.

I would also add...

That the power gains David made were compliments of the head and cam package he has as well...Not to mention that David has MPII as well as the 85MM Tbody and 87MM MAF, although the numbers with the 76MM MAF were very impressive considering the bad press that the C&L get from time to time...Anyway there is No Doubt that the MPII gear is making alotta ponies if it is paired up with other mods to compliment them.

But I would agree with Scott in that you need to get the intake done, and also why bother with a 70MM when you can get a 75MM for a lil more and it would compliment the 76MM MAF much better than the 70MM would...

Brad

talked to my bro and he is going to send me the 76mm c&l maf. is there any specific throttlebody manufacturers you guys suggest? i like the bbk one 'cause it says "supercoupe" on it (but you can't see that with the hood down in the staging lanes. :p ) and there's the MP one as well. (bling, bling!) size is an issue, but really just inquiring about the quality of the piece.

and, the pics:

17418130-08be-02000180-.jpg
17418137-3a7f-02000180-.jpg

17418143-04f9-02000180-.jpg
17418149-98ad-02000180-.jpg

17418151-4bbb-02000180-.jpg
17418152-ba12-02000180-.jpg

17418153-9141-02000180-.jpg
17418161-2c49-02000180-.jpg

17418167-1a10-02000180-.jpg
17418176-1731-02000180-.jpg

17418180-1d16-02000180-.jpg
17418184-32a5-02000180-.jpg

17418186-c2cd-02000180-.jpg
17418198-26f0-02000180-.jpg

cinstral, I love the pics.....Nicely done. Did you just order a new blower from MP, or did you have yours rebuilt? what did you get charged for the work?

Le me know as I'm going to be doing a very similar rebuild for mine. I'm also going with the Coy Miller Stage 1 rebuild for the engine.

Thanks

The BBK 75mm Supercoupe TB will work fine with the C&L 76 MAF and deliver all the air you need to make over 450 HP. I like it because the linkage is already set up correctly and you can use a 3" intake system like ZR or MAC.

I have the polished 85mm TB with 3.5 intake and 87mm MAF now, and it only makes 10 more HP than the 75mm TB, ZR intake and 76mm MAF I had before.

It does however look a little more impressive with all the chrome and polished stuff and the bling*bling* effect will look great on your car with that polished supercharger.

Here is are pictures showing both setups on my car.

engine123102.jpg

engine%20013003.jpg

David

Cin with your stock injectors you can throw that mass air right on..So long as it was calibrated for a stock stang...Good luck

If your buying new you might as well go with the MP piece. I have one its quite nice and looks awful good along side the rest of the MP showroom you've got under the hood.

I have to admit i was very disapointed in the power gains that i got from the same products that you just purchased. I also put the 38# injectors 75mm TB 76mm C&L underdrive pulleys intercooler fan and 190 fuel pump. These claims of 60 to 80 rear wheel horsepower, more like 40.

josh: i have a thunderbird sc up in AK that i bought as a parts car (may rebuild it though :rolleyes: ) i used the blower off of that to be sent in so my dail driver cougar wouldn't be down. i believe the total was around $1600+ for the work which included; blower rebuild, porting, polishing and the polished top and inlet plenum. sounds like you got a little bit of money to spend if you're springing for the CM stage one. :)

David: thanks for the pics. i definitely like the look of the MP TB and like SCrazy said, when buying new, might as well. where did you get your cold air divider?

Damon: Yeah, thats the part that sucks, its calibrated for 24lb'ers :( , oh well free maf, i'm not complaining!

rplaster: wow, thats not good... maybe it needs to be tuned :confused: i know that others have been very impressed with this setup. Dr. Fred might be able to help. i hope this is not the case...

SCrazy / David: did the MP TB bolt right on? i assume it did because they focus on these cars, but you didn't have to screw with the linkages right?

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

These cars are deceptive. They are also heavy. Until you make some comparison runs before and after, don't be so sure on the gains or lack thereof.

I picked up 70 rwhp with my FMIC and Smodel blower. I knew it was faster, but I never guessed that much! But it was dyno AND track proven.

:)

Proving once again...

THat the seat of the pants dyno can go both ways...It is a nice surprise to find out that you are making even more power than you figured, and a bit of a disappointment the other way around...

XR7Dave, those are some great gains....You got mail

Brad

David: thanks for the pics. i definitely like the look of the MP TB and like SCrazy said, when buying new, might as well. where did you get your cold air divider?

I bought it from Magnum Powers. It is a quality part and fits very well.

SCrazy / David: did the MP TB bolt right on? i assume it did because they focus on these cars, but you didn't have to screw with the linkages right?

Yes, the 85mm TB bolted right on and required no changes to the linkage. Mine didn't even require idle adjustments.

David

Back