Removing rear axle, any tips?

tbirdboy

Got back from the salvage yard yesterday with a rear hub/axle combo. Because I couldn't break that axle nut loose I had to buy both. Lucky for me someone already jacked the pumpkin so the axle was just sitting there.

Mine is making a serious humming noise and I've come to the conclusion it is the bearing on its way out(axle nut worked its way loose a couple of times before I bought a new one last year).
But since I have this axle also it might make sense to replace both since this yard hub/axle seem to be in good shape.

Wanted to know if there was any trick or shortcut that I should know about popping that axle out of the pumpkin before starting the job. I have the Haynes manual(and for that matter STILL WAITING for my CD-ROM manual ordered from EBAY) so it should be that big a deal but doesn't hurt to ask.
Thanks all!

slider

It should slide right out as soon as you get it unhooked. Put a big screw driver up next to the center section are give it a little push and in should slide out... good luck....Rich

The only other thing worth adding is that you not do any pulling on the axle b/c that could damage the CV boots & joints. Let the big screw driver or pry bar do all of the work to pop the circlips. I hope you are planning to install new diff side seals for the axle that you remove and a new axle nut from Ford so you don't have problems down the road. Good luck

Back