intermittent starting problem

kevenj90sc

Maybe someone can help. I've had my 90 SC for 3 years, it has 117,000 miles on it. It has always cranked over about 3 to4 revolutions and then fired right up......then about a month ago it started taking longer to start, and after about 6 or 7 revolutions it would crank over REAL slow, like the starter was dragging. It acted like the Timing was WAY advanced. I'm pretty sure the DIS module has some control over timing, and i had a new one in the trunk, so i changed it, and the problem seemed to be fixed. The next day i took the old one to work with me at NAPA and tested it, and it failed, so i figured i had guessed right!. Well all was fine for the next few days, but then the car didn't get driven for about a week, and when i went to start it last wednesday it acted like it did before, cranked fast for 6 or 7 revolutions but didn't start , then cranked over slowly... i immediately turned the key off, waited about 5 seconds and tried again, it started right up, and sounded fine! no dragging or anything, cranked real fast, started in about 3 revolutions. was fine for the rest of the day and next day too. Then this morning, same thing. it only does it on the first start up, after the car has not been driven for a few days... i started it and shut it off like 10 times today after it acted up the first try, and no problem at all after that! the battery and charging system check out ok....i have not tested fuel pressure , but i would not think that could cause the 'dragging' i'm getting in the starter. i dont think it's the starter either, because it cranks nice and fast for a while before it drags, and as long as it fires in 3 or 4 revs like it should, the starter sounds fine. So what's goin' on here , guys?......Cam Sensor or Crank sensor going?........is there a way to test them or should i just replace them, they are not that expensive......and how involved are they to change??.......somebody point me in the right direction! THANKS!

had the same problem.....

I don't know how big your battery is, but my '89 did the same thing until I put a new battery in with 900 CCA. Problem solved....which actually surprised me. I was actually thinking it was a bad battery cable...may want to check that too, and the connections. Good luck!!!!

my batter is the Nascar Select, 750 CCA, I tested it and it was showing 830 CCA (of course the temp was about 50, not 0 where the batter is rated).. that should be fine, i was kinda thinking the same thing though, except for the fact that the car cranks over fine for a long enough time that the car should have started, before it 'drags'....then if i try it again it starts fine. I guess it could be a starter that's going too, but there again, when the car fires like it's supposed to it cranks fast, it's only on those rare occasions that it doesn't start right away and cranks for too long that the problem presents itself.... Maybe i got more than one problem going on...? anyway i got the same size battery in my Bronco that i just bought, but it has 850 CCA so maybe i'll swap them and see what happens.......

thanks for your help!

Back