any advice on tourqe coverter

scbird1

Im rebuilding my own aod trans. Its a first for me but I have some support from a x Ford trans man. I read that a v6 stang converter could be used. I dont want to change the flex plate or spend to much $ on this. Dose anyone have any first hand answers with this?
Thanks, Mark

A lot to know here. A converter is a key piece for the overall performance of your car. What do you have done and what do you intend to doing, performance wise? How much do you want to spend?

Last edited:
Its a 93 auto mostly stock. dont plan on doing to much as cash is tight.
10% pully
removed air silencer
slight porting on heads
high flow cats down tubes
flowmaster catback w resonator

Well good news for you. Converters have been known to give you as much as a quarter second in the quarter. Protorque is known for good affordable converters. I would look at getting a 2400 stall and add a tranny cooler. Should cost about $400 all together. It will lose some gas mileage though but you'll notice how much nicer your car launches and accelerates on the freeway. If that is a little steep then maybe you could step down a little to a 1800 or close to it and you won't have to worry about the tranny cooler and it will cut cost to about $250 I would guess. It would still be an upgrade though.

www.protorque.com

kind of messed up site right now though, no prices have to send for quote.

Oh and our converters are the same as older mustang v-8 convertors so there are a lot of options.

Jack in the box

When I took this thing apart I was waiting for springs and small parts to fly out but It was a lot more tame then I thought.

Attachments

• dvc00039.jpg
    dvc00039.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 181
My only advise on rebuilding the AOD is to not cheap out in the valve body department. Along with many other problems, AOD's are famous for for 3-4 shudder when warm, soggy shifts, and binding between 4 & 3 during downshift. This can cause the 3-4 input shaft (skinny one in the middle) to lock up in the torque converter and either strip the splines off the shaft, or in the converter. Soggy shifts fry clutches, and especially the O-D band. Spend your money on a decent recalibration kit for the valve body, not like the usual shift kit this will in escense recalibrate your AOD to work 100% better than new and last for years longer. TransCo sells a kit like this that I'm sure you will be pleased with.

LENTECH VALVEBODY!!! LENTECH VALVEBODY!!!!

Seriously, I'd looking into getting the Lentech Street Terminator Valvebody while the tranny is out. It's the best mod I've ever done!!

Lentech Automatics

Thomas

Back