Does your SC make noise?

MtDewd

Before I got my supercharger magnaported it rattled at an idle. No leaks, just a rattle. Well, after all my mods and a magnaport II with rebuild, it still rattles. I can hear it inside the car. It's still doing it only at an idle up to about 1300 RPM. My mechanic said it might be the cam since I have a pretty long duration and high lift. Not really the lift but the duration that is causing the lope and making the supercharger rattle. Any thoughts?

mines ported and it whines like a cow getting a red hot poker shoved in its ***, but i dont know about rattling, the whine is too loud:D

It's funny you posted this question, b/c I just got my SC out of winter hibernation and was reminded about the rattling at idle. It's always done it since I've had it (two years), so I dont know what to think. I remember someone saying the original style blowers, 89-91 or 92 I think all did this and it's normal, but I'm not positive.
BTW-mine is stock with 70k miles.

OneSweet89SC said:
I remember someone saying the original style blowers, 89-91 or 92 I think all did this and it's normal, but I'm not positive.
BTW-mine is stock with 70k miles.
The early years shouldn't be making a lot of noise provided they were maintained. Problem is that the SC fluid was never a regular maintenance item :confused: guess they assumed (wrongly) that the seals would never leak and the fluid would never need changing. Well, they do, and if you didn't check it soon enough, then your nice expensive SC would run dry :eek:

Check the fluid regularly; at 70,000 you shouldn't have a problem, but who knows.

First, take off the SC belt, then idle the car and see if the noise stops, that will show you whether its the engine or SC related. If the noise goes away, then it either the SC tensioner or the SC itself and you can hold a long rod, screw driver or even dowel to each of them in order to locate where its coming from. I'm surprised that the bearings in the SC Snout were not replaced when you had the port work done, but you can replace the bearings yourself if you have access to a press. Good luck

whats that noise? :confused:
:confused::confused::confused:

<bgsound src="http://members.tccoa.com/gooeygus/Jason.wav" loop="0"><br />

Last edited:
vancouverBC said:
I'm surprised that the bearings in the SC Snout were not replaced when you had the port work done, but you can replace the bearings yourself if you have access to a press. Good luck

I had the bearings replaced with the rebuild. I'll try disconnecting the belt but if it is the supercharger is the rattle normal? It's a noticable rattle.

BTW, that is not my noise you hear. I don't know what that is.

noise

I had my spare supercharger rebuilt and ported through the NJ deal. It has a definite noise and not a whine. It very audible inside the car. My stock blower did not make this noise prior to its removal. I have not noticed any problems with performance. The noise is a little annoying though.

Mark

My 89 also has a rattle noise at idle. I replaced oil and tensioner pulley. I have noticed that my tensoiner arm vibrates and plan on replacing it soon. I am hoping that is my rattling sound because my wife will have a cow if I tell her I need a $300 dollar rebuild.

GooeyGus2 said:
whats that noise? :confused:
:confused::confused::confused:

<bgsound src="http://members.tccoa.com/gooeygus/Jason.wav" loop="0"><br />

yeah, i unfortunately had the speakers all the way up.... i think they are screwed now. doh!

i had my blower rebuilt with the NJ group as well and don't hear anything inside the car ewxcept for the whine. just an fyi, i had a stock blower that had a rattle and it turned out that the nut was loose on the front of it and the pulley had destroyed the woodruff key enough that it could rotate on the shaft a little each way. it still made boost and all, just rattled real bad. if i hadnt caught it though, im sure the outcome could have been bad.

Last edited:
pc.jpg

this little plastic coupler is causing the rattle in my SC... I also have a spring loaded one and it knocks instead of rattles ... going to try and make and put in a pair of rubber washers in between the coupler and the drive shalfs ...before it drives me nuts

My son's 91 set up for awhile before we bought it. We thought is was the SC making the ratle, just like y'all say. After driving it for a few weeks it got quiet. With a rod we could hear the main noise was the tensioner, but it sure sounded like the snout befor the test. Note you guys had the car sitting up for winter? Ours came from the NE and sat up. She is perfectly quiet in the TX heat, now that it is driven every other day.

One of my first projects relating to a car was to rebuild the supercharger. I got the whole kit for 45 bucks, Including a new cupler that is larger then the original to reduce sound. I use to have that rattle, but after doing the rebuild myself, it sounds perfect. The rebuild should take a total of 5 hours. That is taking the whole thing apart, including the supercharger from the t-bird itself and installing it all back. I can't find the e-mail, but if you guys are interested, post back. Peace (This is way better then 300 bucks)

Sergio

Hellraizer547

Hellraizer547
where did you get the kit
do you have a contact number where I can purchase it?
My SC has a rattle like the wheel bearing is on the way out but maybe it's the coupler. The car has been stored for a couple of years but it mad the same sound before storage.
It's scares the **** out of me..I'm afraid to go on a long road trip and have this thing break down and cost me a million dollars in towing to get it back home.

Back