rearend gears

RVA75

My bird has 230,000 on the clock and just finishing up putting a newer motor in her. While I'm at it I am also doing other things. This was originally was just supposed to be a motor deal, but that "While I'm at it" thing has made this into a complete restoration almost.

Anyhow, I want to have the rearend rebult after I find it under all the grease and road grime. What do you guys suggest I go with for gears?

I have a 1990 with a 5 speed and 8.8 rear. I would like to have a good launch, but not loose to much top end speed. Thanks. Randy

Don't rebuild it, just get some 3.27s from an AOD SC, install new axle seals and forget about it. The change from 2.73s in my 35th 5speed was without a doubt, the bast mod I ever did, 3.55s would have been to much for me, and a lot more money. 3.27s will get you off the line great, pull up hills in slow traffic in 3rd w/o going back to second, and 5th becomes really useful on the freeway even going up mountain hills. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner, it will be a whole new driving experience. Good luck

My car is in the shop right now for a LOT of work. Its getting some 3.27's installed and a new blower pulley and exhaust among a lot of other things. This car is gonna feel like it got a bigger motor and I am SO anxious to test it out.

I know allot of you suggest going up to 3.27's, but you should keep in mind whether or not you plan to take the car on trips. I recently swapped out my 2.73's for 3.08's. My take-of has improved and on the freeway I'm only pulling around 2300 R's @ 75 mph. Since I live in St.Louis I travel to WI allot so my mileage was a consideration. One thing I have definately noticed is on the freeway I don't ever have to leave 5th gear. She pulls like an animal.

Good luck w/ you r decision!

Yeah I got my 3.27's now. Lots of wheel spin.

Unzer you around this weekend? There is a big SC meet in St. Charles MO. We will be at MAR (Mid America Raceway) on Sunday, and Saturday we are dynoing at Stegemeire Performance in St. Charles. Friday night is an SC club party at Dave Neiberts house. Email me for more info if you'd be interested in hanging out with some SC owners in your area. Scott-Long@yahoo.com

I changed to 3.27's a couple of years ago, and even though the car only gets driven a couple thousand miles a year. I am changing to 3.08's I find 1st gear useless. It might be a good choice if your going to track a lot. 3.08's are going in my car as soon as the car comes out of storage. It could just be me, I am used to that sho motor going forever between shifts though. Just my .02 cents.

shotbirdsc: I don't think that you'll notice that much of a difference to warrant a change from 3.27 the 3.08s. The amount of work and cost of new axle seals etc., I would stay with 3.27s and just go a little farther in 1st gear before shifting to 2nd and spend the time & money on other things, like exhaust or intake that will help your engine breath better. I just said and did the 3.27 swap because they are much more common and easier to find with the TracLok already installed. Good luck

Back