What is the best clutch to buy??

455Poncho

I need a clutch right away here. I've been recommended to get either a Spec stage 1 or centerforce dual friction. Who has had experiences with both, and were they good or bad???

for stock use, a LUK or CF I (30%) for lighter pedal feel, then maybe a Spec I

For harder use a LUK, Spec II then CF

For racing on slicks a Spec III then CF DF (these may chatter for at least a few hundred miles before breaking in fully), also have stiffer pedal feel for daily driving (stop and go)

I have no idea why but some people just go out and buy CFDFs with barely any mods

:rolleyes: :D

I would try to stick with the factory LUK if you dont need lots of holding power. Pass up any Dynapack clutches etc:eek:

Get the 11.5" setup for a 94-95 SC. It's a direct bolt in if you get the disc and pressure plate. Stay away from the Centerforce DF. Go with a CF II in the 11.5" size. Trust me.

Steve

BlackbirdSC said:
Get the 11.5" setup for a 94-95 SC. It's a direct bolt in if you get the disc and pressure plate. Stay away from the Centerforce DF. Go with a CF II in the 11.5" size. Trust me.

Steve

Is it as simple as ordering the 94-95 clutch and pressure plate? are the flywheel's the same? Can i just order a LUK clutch for the 94-95 SC and it will bolt in?? More details would be great, thanks.

I've had my car since new and i've gone through the original clutch and a luk and I just put on a cfdf clutch mind you i have a little power with much more to come shortly and i so far like the duel friction center force!! I guess i'll see at the track!:D

Hey 455

Which one's quicker - straight away and around corners? My ex had a 2 yr old 69 GP/ST 400ci which was pretty torquey but didn't go round a corner worth a D!

Just curious about your impressions. ;)

BTW: Had a new 67 GTO before that - same engine, less weight so it was quicker. Went around a turn better, but nothing to really brag about.

Last edited:
Yes, the flywheels and everything are the same. The only differences are the clutch disc and pressure plate.

The Dual Friction clutch basically puts a super high grip (read: no slipping whatsoever) material on 1 side and the same material as the CF I/CF II disc on the other. So, all the slipping is on 1 side. Which means it'll wear out faster and may stutter since the 1 side doesn't wanna slip at all. That's the info received from an insider at CF.

BlackbirdSC said:
Yes, the flywheels and everything are the same. The only differences are the clutch disc and pressure plate.

The Dual Friction clutch basically puts a super high grip (read: no slipping whatsoever) material on 1 side and the same material as the CF I/CF II disc on the other. So, all the slipping is on 1 side. Which means it'll wear out faster and may stutter since the 1 side doesn't wanna slip at all. That's the info received from an insider at CF.

Awesome, so i should just order the 94-95 clutch as it comes with disc and pressure plate. There is nothing else i need for the switch then?? **** i thought 11" was big enough, but 11.5" is even better :D

Re: Hey 455

rivlee said:
Which one's quicker - straight away and around corners? My ex had a 2 yr old 69 GP/ST 400ci which was pretty torquey but didn't go round a corner worth a D!

Just curious about your impressions. ;)

BTW: Had a new 67 GTO before that - same engine, less weight so it was quicker. Went around a turn better, but nothing to really brag about.

My neighbour has a '69 GP. I'll try and grab some pics for you. Its a 428 pontiac. I like the look of the '69's better. I bought my '73 GP off him, he had purchased the car when it was 2 years old and had owned it for 25 years before i got it.

As far as comparing the two, it would be pretty tough to do. The GP will slaughter the SC in the quarter mile. Handling is no question to the SC. I like both for different reasons. The SC looks so nice, handles well, rides nice, and is pretty quick. The GP has LOTS of power, has lots of personality, and is very uncommon. So in the end, i probably like them both the same, just each in their own way.

Also, the GP isnt stock, and the SC is, so its hard to compare. The GP is quite extensively modified, and should make around 570 hp at the flywheel. Its not a featherweight (4600 lbs), so at the altitude i am at it should run somewhere around mid 12's to high 12's on the motor. Then im gonna spray it on top of that. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 150-250 hp of nitrous. It should run not bad ;) :D

I'll just finish by saying that i have the SC because i wouldnt want to drive the GP every day ;) If you want pics of the GP, just email me or post your email and i'll send them to you.

My email [email]jpage@shaw.ca[/EMAIL]

Thanks for the comparo.

With my nickname and previous comments you can probably see where my heart is. My stock 35th handles well, but the SilverBird is mod'd and goes around a corner like a gokart. :D

With that big a spray on that mod'd mill and a light rear end, getting traction's gonna be murder! :eek: Big rear rubber and 90/10 front shocks? Good luck.

Lee

Yeah, traction will be an issue. We'll just have to see how much slick we can stuff in those huge wheelwells ;) :D

I dont wanna put 90/10's in it. Afterall, it is a handler :D

BACK to the clutch. Can anyone confirm 100% for me that the 94-95 bolts in. I dont wanna go spend the cash and get a clutch that doesnt fit :(

Back