What to use to remove door decals.....

phils89sc

My decals on my 89 SC doors (vertical black ones, at rear edge of door), are in bad shape and are pealing off. I want to completely remove them from the car without harming the paint underneath them.
What solvent or whatever can I use to accomplish this? They do not want to come off peacefully by just trying to pull them off.

Thanks

Philip Stocker

Did mine using the following:

3M Tar & Adhesive Remover (this is a MUST)
Heat Gun (or hair dryer)
Squeegie, like you use for getting air bubbles out of tint with
Rag

I'd recommend keeping that 3M around at all times. That stuff is better than WD40 or any other tar/sap/bug remover I've ever tried. If it can get off a dried lump of sap on my car, it's got a permanent home with me. Soften it up with the heat gun, peel up the edge of the sticker as much as you can and spray the 3M. Once you get it going it'll come off pretty easily. Using the squeegie to push it off will keep it from tearing up so you don't have to keep starting over. When it's off, you'll have a bunch of adhesive on there. Spray it and let it sit for a few seconds, but not too long or it'll dry off. Scrape with the squeegie, since it won't scratch it (you have body color paint under there). Keep spraying and scraping, eventually you'll towel off the last of it.

Makes a big difference having nice tape on there.

JAFO said:

3M Tar & Adhesive Remover (this is a MUST)

Hey JAFO, I use GOOF OFF but have to worry about paint discoloration and damaging plastic. Does the 3M stuff leave paint and plastic unharmed? If so, I have to pick some up.

No problems with it here. I've used it on several places taking sap off, painted and on the glass sunroof. I'm assuming it takes off the wax, but I could be wrong. I don't see a difference after I use it, but re-apply anyway. I got it at Adance Auto Parts, in the paint section, not detailing area.

On the tape, don't forget to wipe it all down with alcohol to clean before putting the tape on there.

HTH

I'll pick some up

Excellent, well I'll have to try it. 3M makes some great stuff, a little more expensive, but always been worth it to me.

Back