'91 SC vs. '96 SS your call...

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Well guys next weekend is the big dance for me with a co-worker who owns a slightly modded SS...damn nice car too I must add. Anyways he has a chip, exhaust and a cone filter with everything eles stock. And well I have a stock bird with Ported Heads from morana racing. Anyone have an idea who will win in the 1/8 mile?

I think I can take him in the 1/8 but I'm sure he would kick mine in the 1/4.

TIA

-Tim

When exactly are you going down Tim? Maybe I'll make the trip to watch. Or better yet, maybe I'll race too. I'm itching it try out these new gears.

April 4th

Friday night April 4th is when I will be there. Should be a good showing from what I've been told since it's test and tune and Fast n Furious night...? I guess there will be some ricey entertainment! :D

Let me know if you want to come, I think it's $15 bucks to run all day and well if you need a place to crash I have an extra room waiting.

Just let me know.

-Tim

Stock vs. stock, the SS is a bit faster, but really close. I've been wondering about this with light mod's too, my friend has a really nice '96. I think it'll be close unless you've done some other mod's, like exhaust, intake, MAF, pulley etc. I think it might favor him, but it'll be close. Should be a good race. Don't spin, those cars can hook up pretty well.

I really want to know what happens!

Well I didn't win but I was very impressed with the outcome all in all. Comparing the mods he has to what I have done I can accept being beat by such a small margin! He has intake, exaust and an aftermarket chip...to my stage 1 heads with EVERYTHING eles stock...not to mention fully loaded with a spare.

Here's what the final results braught...and I think it was the track for my 1/8 mile time was way slow compared to other times. My pervious best run, with a slightly blown headgasket (looking back on it now :p ) I ran a 9.69... anyways here's the digits.

..........Him.........Me
60ft.....2.230.......2.279
330ft....6.222.......6.473
660ft....9.540.......9.934
MPH......73.89.......70.64

Oh kicked the s**t out of everything eles I ran, which includes:

'85 3000ZX GTR
'97 VTECH Civic
'02 V6 Camaro

-Tim

She did look good for the event though, and well I was the only MN12 there :D

sc_ul8r.jpg

well i was going to predict that he would win...but it's too late now...

this reminds me of my first experiences racing 96 SS's. i raced a couple of 96 SS's, one with exhaust & one with a k&n kit when my SC was stock. i would get a good jump on them from 0-40mph, then they would usually pick up some steam but not enough to overcome the deficit. i raced them up to 100mph at stoplights which led to the highway & won every time but by only 1-2 car-lengths. so my prediction was that with the mods the SS you raced, he would beat you based on my experience. also, this was when my SC was stock & i didn't know how to race (shift) it...i'm sure the results would be different now...but my SC isn't quite stock now...

good post!

JAFO said:
Stock vs. stock, the SS is a bit faster, but really close. I've been wondering about this with light mod's too, my friend has a really nice '96. I think it'll be close unless you've done some other mod's, like exhaust, intake, MAF, pulley etc. I think it might favor him, but it'll be close. Should be a good race. Don't spin, those cars can hook up pretty well.

I really want to know what happens!

Sorry but I hate chevys and love my fords but a stock SS would completly rape a stock SC in everyway :(

Sorry but I hate chevys and love my fords but a stock SS would completly rape a stock SC in everyway

...it depends on which year SC more than anything. pull out some magazines from back then, the SS's ran low 15's to mid 15's stock, which is similar to what SC's ran.

i wasn't expecting to beat the SS's i beat by that much if at all, but the fact is, i did & i had a friend with. the SS's guys gave me thumbs up every time i beat them...so they were cool about it anyway.

also, there are probably not a whole lot of either stock SC's or SS's around any more...

Sure did, it was pretty funny. To be honest it sort of made me worried about the outcome but then I stomped his *** so I just laughed about it later. I talked to the guy afterwards and he told me his car had a 1. something or 2. something turbo (not sure what they put in them then and can't remember now).

Really wish I had my car back so I could go up there now with my list of mods! Really itchin to see what improvments the 10% pulley will do for me.

-Tim

Tim Groth said:
DUHHHH TIM! Sorry about that... It's an Impala SS, sweet ride IMO!

-Tim

You'll take him, no doubt in my mind.
My rather stock 91 with a bad tranny beat my friends Caprice 9C1 (i.e. cop verison of the Impalla SS) by 0.2 sec the last time I raced him.

*****, looks like I was wrong and late in my responce.

Back