supercharger bearings

tbird79

Hey I am just gonna rebuild the snout of my early style sc. Put in new bearings and a seal while its gonna be off the car. Is anyone offering a rebuild kit or have part numbers for the bearings and seal. I work with a couple machinist that are gonna do it for me so i know it gets done rite. And basically i cant afford to have it done. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Joe

I can put a kit together for U consisting of:
Bearings
Seal
New coupler (improves blower performance)
Sealent
Instructions.
I think I can put the kit together for $75.00 with free shipping to the lower 48.

If any one is interested e mail me at FLBATFISH@aol.com.

The new coupler eliminates the spring allowing the rotors to spin up faster when U give it the gas. The rattle U hear is the rotors riding on the spring. I have also checked and I can do the kit for $50.00 with free shipping in the lower 48.

The spring loaded coupler only allows for about 1/8" movement. Using a solid coupler won't gain you anything except that first 1/8" of slack, and that assumes the springs are working. If they are already broken you gain nothing.

I've got a solid coupler in mine now and it's noisy, I wish I had a good spring loaded coupler instead.

David

I've been told that the solid couplers are more prone to wear, and that when they wear you typically get chatter in the blower. I drive a '90 SC with just under 100,000 miles on the clock and the blower has chatter really bad. I've got a spare brand new solid coupler that I'll use when I do a rebuild in the upcoming months, but I'd really prefer to put in a brand new spring-loaded coupler if I could find one.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer and part number for the replacement spring-loaded couplers???

Cheers,

Sean

You would have to go to Mangsun (sp) for replacement parts. I don't know if they will even sell you them, but you can ask.

As far as spring vs no spring.

It won't add any performance, it can't. As stated before as soon as the slack is out it is a solid coupling. It actually takes about 10-15 deg of rotation before it is locked up. That being said that would be degrees in relation to the supercharger. Since the supercharger is spun at 2.7:1 then in crankshaft degrees that would be significantly less, so you see that it really makes no difference because you aren't losing any pumping cycles and the amount of air moved in the same time period is the same.

The problem with the spring couplers is that they break. I can't tell you how many superchargers I saw on Ebay with " customer said it was noisy, so it was replaced under warranty" or " it made noise and was replaced under warranty. A supercharger is supposed to make noise!"

Every supercharger that had that description I am sure had the same problem, a broken spring in the coupler. Every thing from M112's for Lightning’s M112's for Jag's M90's for the BOP crowed. I bought a M112 off of a Jag on Ebay and knew that was the problem. But hey, for $125 who's bitching?

Jeff

Back