ANY tips on SERPENTINE BELT REPLACEMENTS??

rab4jc

Just today tried to get my SC 'INSPECTED' - was told there was a 'belt' with a piece of rubber missing and so was a safety issue and they WOULD NOT finalize the INSPECTION. ++THE NERVE & AUDACITY!!!++ I suppose BIG BROTHER will PROTECT ME from all the CELL PHONE DRIVERS TOO!! One MORE LAW that FURTHER RESTRICT our GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF CHOICE!!
Enuff soap boxin - CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME TIPS on doing this myself?? Also, ARE GATES BELTS OK, or is FORD BETTER!! OR??

Thanks ALL - MAY GOD'S ABUNDANT BLESSINGS OVERTAKE YOU!!

Got a set of Dayco's for about $50. Don't know if they're the best, but couldn't beat that price. May be a good time for the hoses and thermostat, if you haven't swapped them.

Hints? Well lets see.. It was probably the SC belt which had the nick They seem to do that, at least every one of mine has so far.

You need an 18mm socket an a torque wrench or 2' breaker bar. You place the socket on the bolt in the center of each of the tensioner pulleys (the pulley part which touches the belt, not the spring case) and rotate the whole arm clockwise.. while your holding it up, you take your free hand and work the main belt off of the water pump pulley first, then release and take the belt off. You have to take one of the radiator hoses off to get the serpentine belt off. Then you remove the other 2 shorter belts in the same way.

Put the 2 belts upper belts back on and then the serpentine belt. Twist the tensioner pulley CW again, thread it over the alt, pwr str, and A/C pulleys then lastly over the waterpump pulley. Then release. get everything seated before you release.

And your in Katy? I have never heard of any TX inspection including belts. Sounds like the guy is just trying to make some money replacing the belts, and since you have to remove the lower rad hose he probably jack up the price.

It's easy other than removing the lower rad hose. If you need help let me know.

Jeff

no need to buy ford belts, they are manufactured by either Gates or Dayco anyway...........in my opinion Gates are superior , or NAPA (same as gates)

Just for info.
I had to do a minor repair in a parking lot once, and had to release the tension on one of the belts. Of course I didn't have many tools with me at the time, but I discovered that the stock tire iron in the the trunk fits almost perfectly on the bolt heads on the tensioners. Has a nice long handle for leverage too.

I run Gator Backs all around, great belt. Even with a 10% pulley on the blower, no signs of slipping.

Back