Help, Honda Civic sound coming from exhaust!!!!

Blown95

Serious!!!
I have '95 SC auto 136k and HGs replaced at 89k, with Flomaster exhaust which is about a good 5 years old now.
Driving today, and had the roof open and windows down because it was a nice day finally. Well, as I speed up I had a curb on my drivers side which reflected this Honda Civic sound back at me. Sounds like puff-puff-puff-puff, and gets faster and a bit louder as the RPMs go up. At idle you can't hear it.
Now the funny thing is, I still have a good resonating sound, and I can still do 13-14# of boost. I have no loss of power. Just this damn annoying sound.
I assumed it has to be some kind of a leak or broken seal in the exhaust system, where I end up getting blow by under heavier loads. Slow accel. you can't really hear it. I looked under the car today and saw the pipes looked rusty, but not falling appart.

So, am I right on an exhaust leak? Do I need to check for anything else? Can I drive with it for a few weeks? Is it going to hurt anything on the car? What is it going to cost me to replace the exhaust? And why the hell does this happen to me finally that I am able to save up some cash in the bank?

I agree....you got a hole or a good crack somewhere. You may not have to replace your whole exhaust. The Flowmaster is fine you can bet on that. But a good exhaust man can cut out your rotted places and replace them with good pipe until you can save up the cash to do the job right. Also it won't hurt anything to drive it like that, it will just sound like sh_t ........

blah!

fix or get it fixed fast!!! :D as thundercat said, it will not damage anything....except maybe emotional damage. having an sc sound like that is like making a man wear pink jeans. :p i'll help you if your not too far away! don't wanna be mistaken for rice now do we? ;)

derrktor feesh

In response to your last question "why the hell does this happen to me finally that I am able to save up some cash in the bank? ", the answer is that you have an SC. I swear that these machines know when you've saved up some money and make it their personal mission to keep the bank account from getting too high! Oh well, at least they're fun to drive!

Matt

It won't last forever

SC Flowmaster systems are made from mild steel and they won't last forever. Main pipe from the resonator to the Y-pipe and the Y-pipe aren't aluminized anymore either. Despite what some have said, they corrode from the inside out, not from the outside in. 5 years is nothing to complain about either, I've never made it to 4 years and I just put my third Flowmaster system on last month. Second system went on in August of '99. I also rolled past 280,000 miles (second engine) on the way to work today.

Just an update.

I took the SC to my regular machanic, not sure if he does exhaust, but to have him look at it. Turns out, he has a very good guy there that is god with a welder. The problem was isolated to a hole in the right cat. After he took the shield off, he was able to patch it up and I am back to normal.
I also had a chance to look at the rest of the exhaust while he had her up, and the Flows are in still good solid shape. The whole ordeal only cost me $40 for the labor. Nice, real nice. And no ore rice sound.

Next, get the plugs, wires, and belts replaced.

Back