This is what i think sccoa should have.exh sounds

I had brought this up a few times but no one seems to have any sound clips. I can't provide any beacause I sold my coupes.

I thought someone had previously brought this up. I could provide stock exhaust sounds if anyone is interested. I don't really see much help in that, but I still can.

I have never tried it, but coudn't someone just use a tape recorder and then get that on their pc with a 1/8 stereo (out the headphone jack) to the mic. in on the pc. I know they aren't exactly ment for that and you might need to play with the volumes on the recorder and pc.

I can get ahold of a digital camera and/or camcorder with mic's built in. So should most people attending a university.

I would really make a great feature!

Last edited:
I might be able to get it done today with my roommates digital camera (should have a mic) or else it will be this weekend. Did you want me to e-mail them to you or something else?

I tried getting the Flowmaster with the mic on my digital camera & video, but the mic just isn't up to the task. It couldn't capture the deep tones at all. Sounded nothing like it, so I think it would be misleading. I'd like to hear the SCP exhaust, if there could be a good capture of it, that still may be in my future one day.

If you want to compare sounds, you will need to have some kind of standard way for people to record. Example - if you put the mic right up under the rear bumper, it sounds a whole lot different than off to the side, or if you put the mic on the ground versus holding at waist level, etc. I think if you are too close to the mufflers, the recording will be less realistic. Probably standing a few feet behind the car holding the mic would be better.

JAFO, when you listened to the sound did you play it off the camera or the computer? The camera speaker won't reproduce those frequencies. It worked fine for me playing off of the computer.

blkthndr, you got e-mail. Did it transfer alright?
I ripped it at 320 kbps maybe that is too high. It is ~1.3 MB.

Does anyone want the video with it?

Julian

Last edited:
I played it on the computer, which has decent speakers. It's just a low quality video from the dig. camera. Not a great mic, I've noticed that with other attempts. Also, it's a small file. I've got 2 attempts, both are <1 meg for a 30 sec video recording. I uploaded them to Imagestation, so you can DL it and see what I'm talking about. None of the deeper tones come out. I promise it sounds better than this.

These will pull up a DL page, then just click download:
Flowmaster Cat back

2nd attempt

I was really disappointed with that 2nd attempt. I was inside the house and it sounded great just idling so I grabbed the camera. No dice.

Ya, I see want you mean. It still sounds like it would sound nice. If that makes sense. I went to a GTP site and listened to their exhaust files. A lot of them made a horrible farting noise when letting off of the throttle. I hate this. Yours sounded like the right amount. Is a flowmaster cat-back system the only exhaust mod on it? I wonder if the bigger 2 1/2" tubes would cause the "farting" noise? It would definitly give me second thoughts about upgrading if it did.

I don't really get the popping much at all, it does it some when it's sitting there like that, but not much. The first one is only exhaust, the 2nd is exhaust, 75mm MAF and SCP intake. I like it, especially for the money, but I think that if I were to go a lot further with the car that I'd want something bigger. It is a nice improvement over stock.

that popping noise, if its what i think your talking about is what happens when you run too rich. when i had my turbocoupe i took it over to my friends house who races the circle track in the pro modifieds (the real race cars, just a frame and fiberglass) and i revved it up just for fun and on the downfall of the RPMs it made a crackling or popping noise. he said it was because i was running too rich and that was the sound of the left over fuel igniting in the exhuast.
im not sure if thats what was being heard in those sound files, but it could be what was goin on if there was a vacuum leak or something causing too much fuel or a loss of metered air.

No leaks here! (knock on wood) Running like a top. Sitting there revving it like that probably isn't the best idea, in any case. Might run a bit rich from that and shoot a little extra gas out. That's how those flamer hot rods work. Rev it, ignite it. It doesn't pop like all the Z71's around here with loud exhausts, it's just one of the minor sounds the mic could pick up, so it sounds funny. Like I said, it doesn't give a good indication of what it sounds like. We'll just have to have an SCCOA meet somewhere to compare in person. ;)

The cats are hollow, then it goes into a flowmaster resonator (the one that goes with the cat-back kit), and then the cat-back kit.. The hollow cats give it a totally different sound. Very cool in my opinion! I'm gonna try and get a sound clip of it at idle. It sounds awesome with the lumpy cam.

Back