Creative Temperature Monitoring

plev72

Is there anyway to hook either a chime or a 'kill' set-up to protect the car or give you a bigger warning if the temperature exceeds a certain amount? I'm assuming I didn't notice the temperature gauge go red... but I suppose it's possible that it didn't actually go red and the thing just blew the head gasket anyway. Is there a way to program the computer (via the chiptuner) to actually kill the motor (but leave on the electric fan) if the engine temperature exceeds a certain level??

Maybe I just need a big red flashy light in the middle of my dashboard... or an alarm "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"

Simple light.

Use a high temp sensor. A tee where your temp sensor is now. wire a light with the power direct or with a switch, and the ground to the new temp sensor. when the light comes on it's hot.

Some aftermarket temperature gauges have the ability to trigger a warning light at a certain temp. I don't know about interrupting the engine - I think that would be unsafe. What if you were cruising down the freeway and it got too hot and shut off? You wouldn't have any power brakes or steering, and you would basically have to coast off the road. If you were in traffic you would be stuck there.

The EEC tuner couldn't do this anyway as far as I know. But it can make the fan come on at the right temperature and prevent overheating that way.

Back