intake tube...

J

jpaitala

How important is the hose that connects into the intake tube (between the MAF and the TB)?? What's it's primary purpose??

Thanks.

Pretty important, it's the PCV inlet. Metered air goes into the engine through that hose and comes out through the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover and is sucked into the intake plenum along with a nice oily mist.

David

Has anyone tried to remove the PCV valve.Then replace with a
half inch tube,and then run the tube down behind the motor,then
next to the tranny.Then with a oneway valve or PCV VALVE on the
end of tubing.Then connect the tubing to a welded in bung in the
exhaust pipes behind the 02 sensor.to take advanage of the vacum
in the exhaust system to pull out some of the crankcase pressures.
and do this on both sides.

you could only get away with that in states where they don't check emisions. it puts off a wickedly bad smell some of the time. one of my buddies had a mustang like that. only i don't think that you need an actual PSV valve to do that, just a hose that would stand up to the heat. and you would have to weld them in after the cats, because the oil in the crankcase ruins cats if too much of it gets in them. i guess it saturates them and burns them out or coats them and they don't work or something. that'd be something worth trying i guess...
ben m

and actually that's not the PCV. that's just a pressure release or something. the PCV empties into the plenum down stream of the throttle body. that's why theres oil in the IC tubes. vacuum on decelaration causes more oil than usual to be suck in through the PCV into the airstream. my little tube was unhooked for awhile and nothin bad happened. your PCV is much more important than it.

Thanks.
I asked this because I made a custom intake tube and thought that I could leave that hose connection away...
But I made that hose connection after your replys.

Here's two pics of the "tube".

Attachments

• putki_edesta.jpg
    putki_edesta.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 261
and another one from the side...

Attachments

• putki_sivusta.jpg
    putki_sivusta.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 241
The pictures were taken after the tube was painted... So that will be it's color. I wont chrome it or polish it. I think it looks much better this way as my engine compartment doesn't have anything that's polished or chromed.

looks like my intake, :D

Yes i know the engine is dirty, i was too lazy to clean it before the pic

Dsc00011.jpg

You don't actually need that pcv tube that runs to the intake. I put a small APC breather in place of it.

You need to have the pvc fresh air hose connected to the air inlet after the MAF. If you don't then the engine injests unmetered air. This will cause a lean idle.

Back