Bad News!!

white90sc

WELL,
My power steering (PS) went out, about 3 weeks ago and I been driving the car sence, I started to hear a clunking noise sounding like the (PS) pump so yesterday i changed it and the (PS) worked fine BUT, I heard that clunking nosie (Grinding) and a load skweling noise still! So i say wtf and drove off to test the (PS)pump and my car felt like it was a slow *** MiniVan and very low power? so i got on it alittle and i heard a big BANG! and smoke went every where and oil went on my buddy's 89 sc he had a car full of oil and my car die!wtf running great befor just did headgaskets last month now i have a big *** hole in my block!

also befor i took off my PS pump when i would come to a stop my oil gauge went all the way down the when i hit the gas it would go normal!

Any words of wisdom here... (what happing and why!)

Thanks
JERRY :(

Jerry,

Bottom end was probably damaged when the headgaskets blew. It's not uncommon for coolant to damage the bearings.

BTW, How many miles were on the engine ?

David

Spun bearing due to water getting into the oil after the Head Gaskets blew and you either kept driving it or let it idle with them blown. The bearing caused a connecting rod to bend and shoved a piston through the side of your block. You are going to need a junk engine and rebuild it and no one will take that engine as a core :(

Sorry to hear about that man, happens to the best of us.

Al

Al-

What are some other signs of a bearing problem other than a oil pressure drop at idle? All your recent talk about spinning bearings has made me worry. My oil pressure gauge has always dropped low at idle after driving for a while, sometimes bottoming out. This usually only happens when the engine gets real warm, but recently has been doing it all the time.

The engine is a ford remanufactured, and runs well enough for a 15.2@93mph. Im just hoping its just slightly low pressure from a less than perfect ford rebuild.

-Travis

(sorry to steal the thread, but he seems to have gotten his answer already)

If you have the factory oil pressure gauge setup, I don't believe it produces a real analysis of pressure. Therefore it could simply be your electronics.. perhaps the oil pressure sending unit.

If there is a significant lack of oil pressure, woudln't it manifest itself as a definate change of engine tone & noise? If nothing else, I'd think you would hear the lifters.

Could also be an oil pump going bad..

The stock oil pressure gauge is not a gauge at all, it's just an idiot light with a needle. The sending unit is nothing but a switch that says either you have oil pressure or you have none. So if it is fluctuating it's because the connector at the sending unit is acting up usually.

There is a modification listed in the tech section here that tells you what you need to do to make it a real oil pressure gauge.

What mine did was exactly what white90's did except without the piston through the block. After my hg's went I kept driving it for a while and then ahd it fixed. After getting it back I drove it easy for a while and then got on it pretty hard racing my gf in her new Cavalier (lol yeah i know). I was surpirsed to see that I was having such a hard time beating her. After we stopped the engined died. I started it up again and it would only idle if i kept my foot on the gas. After it cooled off, it ran good again until the next time I got on it where it did the same thing. After racing another 200 sx on the freeway at the exit, I saw my oil pressure drop all the way down to nothing and the engine died again. I started it back up and again it wouldnt hold idle. I took it back to the shop and they said the sending unit was bad. They tried several of them and didnt have the right one, so they put the old one back in. On my way to work, it did the same thing, oil pressure to zero and engine wouldnt idle. That night i got a horrible screeching in the engine (finger nails on chalkboard noise) and I had no power, took it back to the shop and they said spun bearing, bent rod, so it needed to come out.

Stock oil gauges that are working properly will go up to around M and stay there. If the sender unit is malfunctioning, you get a fluctuation with no regular pattern. If you spun a bearing, the oil pressure will drop to nothing and you will definitely notice something wrong.

Al

Thanks guys

Thanks again,
But i wish i heard somthing about after installing HG that the bottom end needed to be re-built or looked into, but who cares my white beauty ran a good 14.7 with 176,000 miles with stock HG, i just called my buddy for a new engine and he will sell it to me for $250 it has 72,000 miles and what great deal!!! but he is part of my Charger Racing Team (dont laugh) but we just have a good time street racing and playing around with the little ricers....but good luck to you all....

Jerry VanDonkelaar
(White90sc)

Back