Fuel Filter

eh488tke

I have a 92 SC, AOD.
What size retainer clip is needed (13 mm vs. 10.5 mm) and what type of tool do I need for the job. Pep Boys is no help.
Thank you in advance for your response.
James

i didnt need any tool on my '90, and the filter came with the replacement plastic clips.. Not sure what year they changed to the type where you need the tool

Thanks for your help.
I managed to get it replaced.
The tool/size is 3/8" Fuel Line Disconnect Tool. The retainer clip on the outlet side of the fuel filter is a 10.5 mm.

James - not sure which year it was changed, but if you have the regular plastic clip to the rear and a metal retainer on the front; then you'll need one of the a/c or fuel fitting release tools. Best one I found was the scissor type at the local PepBoys. You need to remove the safety clamp with a screw driver and slide the release tool into the front fitting to be able to open the locking circlip. Once you've pushed the closed tool all the way in, the filter should release. In an emergency, I just split a small length (say 1") piece of 3/8" pipe down it's length; snapped it over the filter stem and slid it into position to spread the fangs of that retaining circlip. Don't forget to release the fuel pressure by popping the red button on the initia switch in the trunk (or disconnect the harness, whichever is easier); then crank the engine a couple of times until it won't start.
Jim.

Thanks Jim. I should have posted before I started the filter replacement, it would have saved a little time.

Don't worry we all experienced it the same way (nothing in Haynes or the Ford manual). That's where the split pipe came from, but the little scissor tool works realy well.

Back