Which brakes are better?

BlkSCnKS

I would like to upgrade my front brakes sometime in the future but I want to keep my factory wheels to mount winter tires on. So it seems like the two choices are the Sport brakes from '96 and '97 Thunderbirds or just putting '99 and up Mustang dual piston calipers on my factory rotors. Which of the two is the better setup? Thanks, Brandon

Mark VIII

Aren't they the same as the Sports? I was wondering if the larger rotor single piston caliper are better then the slightly smaller rotor dual piston caliper. Thanks, Brandon

Yes, 93 - 98 Mark VIII has the same front brakes as the T-Bird Sport pkg ... my vote is for these ones over the Mustang PBR calipers on stock size rotors. Our cars are just too damn heavy for 10.9" rotors, the 11.6" Mark VIII is not perfect, but a step in the right direction. The ability of a rotor to shed heat is directly related to it's mass. The only real advantage of the Mustang PBR caliper swap is more brake pad surface on the rotor face, and a bit more clamping power from the dual piston calipers.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Another ? while I am here

Are the pre-'93 front discs the same as the '94 and '95 as far as SC's go? Also, where is a good place to get pads for these cars (preferably local)? My '95 brakes seem to suck compared to my '91. They fade faster and just all around don't seem to do as well and both have Autozone pads. Also, I read somewhere not to let the master cylinder get completely empty if you have ABS. Is this correct? What are you supposed to do if do allow it too? Thanks, Brandon

13"?

Put the SVT Mustang 13" system on my 90, but you have to go 17" wheels and the complete upgrade is a buch of parts and expensive. But man, DOES IT STOP! :D

Re: Another ? while I am here

BlkSCnKS said:
Are the pre-'93 front discs the same as the '94 and '95 as far as SC's go? Also, where is a good place to get pads for these cars (preferably local)? My '95 brakes seem to suck compared to my '91. They fade faster and just all around don't seem to do as well and both have Autozone pads. Also, I read somewhere not to let the master cylinder get completely empty if you have ABS. Is this correct? What are you supposed to do if do allow it too? Thanks, Brandon

1991 to 1995 SC front rotors are the same.

cheers
Ed N.

93-95 are larger rotors and a different spindle, the 89-92 have 10.8" rotora and 93-95 have 11.5" rotors.

Last edited:
so if you have a have a 95....

....the Mark upgrade makes no sense, the only upgrade is the 13 front, 12 rear package?

Rich Thompson from MN12 said that he is working on a complete package to "blow away" the SCP big brake upgrades for under $1000 total, fronts and rears. Available sometime this year, I am going to try and wait on that one.

Chris

Since we're on the brake subject here, what do I need to do to upgrade my brakes. I want to get dual piston calipers and larger rotors but want to stay with stock rims. I was just looking at the dual piston caliper upgrade with KVR but do I need anything else or is it just a caliper change. I already have cross drilled rotors and have a caliper that is sticking on me right now so it is time to think of doing something.

Aaron, I'm not sure I agree with your list of rotor sizes for the SC. I believe all years of the SC had the 10.8" front rotors. The 89-90 rotors have a smaller center bore, hence the difference Ed mentions on those years. The hubs changed in 91 and the front spindles changed in 93, but I believe all years had the same size rotor.

Aaron Pedroza said:
93-95 are larger rotors and a different spindle, the 89-92 have 10.8" rotora and 93-95 have 11.5" rotors.

No they don't Aaron ... the only T-Birds that had the larger rotors were the 96 - 97 Sport Pkg. 4.6L cars. The 91 - 97 cars have the same rotors otherwise.

cheers
Ed N.

Re: Another ? while I am here

BlkSCnKS said:
Also, I read somewhere not to let the master cylinder get completely empty if you have ABS. Is this correct? What are you supposed to do if do allow it too? Thanks, Brandon

Fix the leak first. Low brake fluid can cause the ABS pump to prematurely wear, not to mention all the air it will pump into the system, making it extremely difficult to bleed completely.

Brakes aren't leaking

The brake fluid isn't leaking, I just expected to have better brakes on my '95 then my '91. The pedal feels spongy I guess. The front brakes were redone before I bought it and I was wondering if maybe they had allowed the fluid to get too low when bleeding them. The brakes on my '91 would bite where my '95 leaves something to be desired. Thanks, Brandon

Back