5-Speed Upshift Light Does Not Work

edspringer

Since I have owned my 90 Super Cougar 5-speed, the upshift lite has not worked. I have changed the computer (for other reasons) since the computer feeds the upshift signal to the lite and that did not fix it. The lite checks good with the ignition key on and the transmission switch, identified in the wiring diagrams, checks OK. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ed Springer (#1496)

edspringer1@aol.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Upgraded '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats), 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF and Magnacore Wires.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats), 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, TRANSGO Shift Kit and Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler.

Ed,

It's not an indicator of when to shift, it's a warning light telling you to shift or let off the throttle within 20 seconds or the EEC will cut fuel and spark to protect the engine.

You won't see the light unless you are going WOT about 4500-5000 rpm in 3rd (AOD) and similar RPMS in 4th if you have a manual transmission.

David

The upshift light will not come on in the 5 speed cars.
It will however stay on during cranking if the crank sensor itself is going bad.
Never drove an automatic but I believe that the upshift light comes on if you
leave the shifter in the D position and it needs to shift to OD. Maybe someone
else could shed better light on it.

Joe

There you go...beat me to it ...read above....:)

The shift light does not come on in every gear.

Personally, I have only seen mine come on in 4th gear under heavy boost while accelerating on the highway. When it lights up, there is a buzzer that sounds as well, sort of like an over-boost warning on some turbo applications. Even changing the shift light settings with my EEC tuner didn't work, so there is not much you can do. There is nothing wrong with your EEC.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey guys, this is news to me. I never noticed the shift light come on ever in either
of my 5-speed xr7's. Then again, I never really nailed it that hard in higher gears.
Will definitly look next time. I would actually like to see it come on. hehe

The only time it will come on is just a flash when you turn the key to start the engine. If it stays on for any longer, it means your crank sensor is bad. Our up shift light doesn't tell us when its time to shift from 1 gear to the next like some other cars. It is supposed to come on and cut fuel to the engine to keep us from blowing our engines b/c we're overheating them and you have to let off the gas on AODs for things to go back to normal. In 9 years of owning a 5speed, I only saw it when my CPS was bad. If I'm going that fast, I'm keeping my attention on the road. Good luck

Yes - I've had two 5-speeds and the light only came on at 120 mph in 4th gear; so I just shifted up to 5th and it went out. On the '90 it was a pleasant chime, but on the '93 it's an annoying buzzer (guess it serves it's purpose that way).
Jim.

I figured that's what that dinging was! Don't know if the shift light came on, I sure wasn't looking down. ;)

Got to agree with assclown. I have an 90-5-sp and mine comes on in every gear when the rpms are around 5600.

Nick

5.6K? Either you have a big cam or just don't know any better.

as stated b4 the shift light will come on if you have the engine buzzing. I have even had it come on at about 4,200, in 3rd if I have it there for any more than a few seconds.

Jeff

I am going to cut the wire to that light and reprogram it with an aftermarket shift light controller. Then I can set it to come on at like 5200. I unplugged the buzzer too, its behind the glove box.

Back