Newbie Q's.....

mck89XR7

Hi everyone...

I've got some questions and I've used the FAQ forum and search engine and have learned alot, but......

Car is and 89 RX7, blower is making the "rock tumbling noise", added 3 oz. of fluid, noise still there. I have read the threads about this and most have said to leave it be. I am leaning on sending it to get rebuilt. Can anyone give me a rundown on pulling the blower? Can't find a Haynes or Chilton's manual anywhere and would feel more comfortable using the book as a "guideline". When the blower comes off, I am also going to do the plugs and valve cover gaskets as well.

I also noticed max boost was 9-10 pounds, is that normal for this particular car, or is there something else wrong that I should address when the blower is off? I know I should check every vacuum line.......

Can't think of too much else right now, car has 93,000 on it, very solid car except for blower noise. If there are any other things I need to look at, let the suggestions fly...

Thanks in advance for the help, very nice website, loads of info...

Matt

not sure about what it could be...but i think max boost(if u actually maxed it) would be about 12....i never fully punch mine so i wouldnt know...but i have heard about a few people saying 12 is around max. not sure what that means in ur side though...good luck.

ok, someone may have a better/more indepth explanation but here goes;

remove the supercharger belt by using an 18mm socket/wrench on the tensioner pulley to relieve tension on the belt

the collar nut, (the one on the supercharger top) remove it from the upper intercooler tube. there is a tool for this called a spanner wrench costs about $60. people have found it for less elsewhere (harbor freight?) and there are alternative methods of loosening and tightening this as well.

you can then choose to take the top off of the supercharger if you wish, by taking the four bolts off the top out, but could leave it on as well to keep contaminants out of the blower while you finish the removal.

there is a medium sized (half dollar?) bypass hose about 3 -4 inches long going between the supercharger inlet plenum and the intake plenum, you only need to loosen the hose clamp on the supercharger side

unbolt the throttlebody and pull it off (remove the intake tube from the throttlebody first) this will probably require some fanagalling and may not be possible if you dont remove the throttle cables or the bracket that holds them. this braket is attached to the left side of the inlet plenum and with the tools i had at the time, i actually had to get the supercharger and inlet plenum pulled up slightly so i could get to the bolts that hold it on.

there is a large bolt in the front center and two smaller ones on each side in the back. these hold the blower to the intake manifold and are the last bolts you should have to remove. once these are out, you should be able to pull up on the blower and inlet plenum at the same time, and pull it out. (do not forget to remove the vacuum lines from the back/top of the inlet plenum.) it may require pulling up on the front and or left side first, but it should slide out.

after that there are 4 bolts that hold the inlet plenum to the super charger, remove these and you are done.

Last edited:
Just an added note.

Take detailed pic's of the top end as you take it apart and label the tubes and hoses. Believe me this is important. Also if you intend to keep and/or put on mod's - get the spanner wrench! ;)

Thanks for the replies........ Probably get to this next weekend, gives me time to find a spanner wrench. If by chance I can't find one, what are alternative methods to removing the upper tube?

Matt

I've seen guys use a screwdriver & hammer...

but I won't recommend it. A large pipe wrench would work, but you'll probably gouge the fitting. I know I've seen other methods, but didn't pay attention 'cause I've got a spanner. :confused:

i have used a little chunk of 2x4 and a hammer before. 2x4 doesn't chip the collar nut.

you should get the spanner though if your wallet agrees.

Last edited:
Back