what is a scs factory hp

madman4birds

Im i the market for a sc I have had two turbo coups and loved them.I curently owen a mustang SVO and just got my wife a 89 base model and tbird love came back to me .my only problem is Ijust saw a spec sheet for a 89 sc it said 210 hp. my svo 4 cly has more than this with very few mods what easy mods can I do to a sc to bring that # up to a good power to waight ratio also whats up with the head gaskets 4 of 9 cars ive seen in the want ads have a blown one.:cool:

Remeber that the '89-'93 SC's had 315 ft./lbs. of torque to go with that 210 HP. Exhuast, smaller blower pulley, raised top, and underdrive pulleys are all good bang for the buck mods.

Thomas

Don't pay any mind to that number, HP is easy to find with an SC. The factory exhaust system isvery restrictive, which coincidently is one reason so many blow head gaskets. Factory pipes hold about 15 PSI at WOT redline to give you a clue. Flowmaster got just over 50 HP on thier dyno with a cat back on a '90 model. The heads have only 4 bolts per cylinder and are aluminum so to keep head gaskets in these motors with boost you have to be meticulous. The gaskets are Graffoil so they will corrode with weak coolant levels, another reason so many are blown nowadays, people don't keep it fresh. Overheating, running lean, running low octane fuel, etc etc. If you keep it right or set it up right and then keep it right they will last, if you slip one time they are toast.

By the way did your SVO put out 315 ft. lbs stock? How about 450 ft. lbs modded? Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. I'm not knocking your SVO they are my faivorite Mustang but don't worry about being slow if you're good with forced induction tuning and Fords.

These cars are heavy, a lot heavier than your SVO. Weight is loseable though. The suspension is much more sophisticated than the Mustangs and it doesn't feel as big and heavy as it is on good tires when everything is in working order. The '89-'90 SC handle the best and by '94 they got soft on handling. All swaybar related. If you look you can find early years with low option contents. All have elec windows and cruise, but sun-roofs, keyless entry, electric/leather seats, auto A/C and lighting, JBL stereos, etc add more wieght to a heavy chassis. 2nd gens are almost all loaded in not all. Sticks wiegh less than the AOD's

Almost anything for Mustang EEC IV can be adapted to the SC's, mass airs, injectors, throttle bodys, chips, tuners, etc.

The 2nd gen SCs '94-'95 are the rarest and got the new Ford style interior with air bags (no more choke belts). They also got a blower improvement along with a slightly improved fuel injection processor. HP went to 230 stock. The body was redone along with all T-birds in '94. The trannys auto and stick both recieved revised gear spreads in '94 also.

If you get one you'll have no problem getting advice here and a few other places. Some of us have had these cars for over ten years now. Many upgrades are reatively cheap but then some are extremely steep.

Most of the quickest SC's are autos but a 5-speed car will go faster with fewer problems. Autos can launch harder with the IRS (wheel hop) and the 5-speeds gear spread is flat out rediculous (F150 trans) but they are more fun.

If you get an 1st gen you'll spend more to get it right than if start with a 2nd gen. But 2nd gens are rare especially with a 5-speed. Look for low mileage and good maintenance first as these cars can go downhill fast in the wrong hands. '93s got the better less trouble prone ABS so they are a good year in the 1st gen. '89 5-speed cars had the best factory cam, probably had a little more HP than advertised. They scored the Motor Trend car of the year award then pussed out.

Be warned they are extremely maintenance intensive, figure on at least one saturday afternoon a month, more in the first year to get it up to specs and improve performance. You'll learn all kinds of things if you get one but we're here to help get you going. If you want a car that you can beat on without worry then don't get one. If you want a domestic exotic that can perform as good as anyone else once you master it then come on over.

Vernon

thanks vernon

thanks to all especialy vernon for the heads up and yes Iam looking for the right one.and im shure I will have lots more questions but it seems like you guys got my back.:D

Fine tuned hotrods? That's rich!

Jeff

PS how do you tune something that only runs for 12 miles?

Like you can talk! Chi-chi-chi-chia-coupe! I haven't been able to break this to you gently Jeff, but you really should mow your car. LOL

ROTFLMAO! Mow my car? That's great. I was going to wash it the other day but I had to use a rake instead.

That's OK yours has been down longer than mine and the 15minutes that it ran really doesn't count.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hey Jeff, think about it. I changed my sig because I got really, really, tired of breaking stuff.

I just sent you my cam specs email.

i dont own one but i can vouch for em, my friends got one and ive had the oppurtunity to drive it, they are big cars but very nice, i liked it a lot. they also seem to respond very well to mods as this same kid knock a full second off his ET with some very basic stuff.

While ford rated the '93 SC at 190HP and 300Ftlbs, mine put down 199.4 HP and 269.5 Ftlbs with a K&N stock replacement filter. not as fast as my low 14 sec. 2.3L TC tho.......

190 my white ***. 210 hp 315 ft. lbs. torque. Auto's put out about 175-179 rwhp stock and 5-speeds closer to 185-190 rwhp.

Back