Fastest Stock Birds Ever??

dirtybird95

Hey i was just thinking the other day about my T-Bird (95 SC), and i was wondering where it ranked up there with every Thunderbird ever made, stock. I guess i mean horse power. I'm not really technical but i figured you all would know if anybody would! Well i was just wondering, thanks for your input.

I would think at the top of the list. high 14s low 15s The first generation birds would run 0-85 in a 1/2 mile. But the brand new ones are supposed to be pretty quick.

2002 - 15.2
SC's - 15.2
TC's - 16.3
Lx's - 15.8

All are 1/4 mile times, and not year specific, kind of rounded. Nothing to special here, they were always the 2-door luxury Ford.

The mid 60's Tbird was available with the 427 dual quad. This motor was conservatively rated at 425hp. I don't know what the car ran, as it was pretty heavy, but I'm thinking low 15's aren't out of the question.

Dave, no 427's from Ford

Now you are really into my part of the woods "427's" Ford put these in 63 1/2 thru 67 full sixe Gal. and Fairlanes in 64[thunderbolt's then late,[the last 50 or so] 66 and all the way thru 68 1/2. The last being the Torino body.. Same thing for the Mercury's with the exception of the 64 build and the late 66 run. Those were only Ford body's that got it... The Comet's did get it as of Jan of 67 as a speical order deal. Now anything that is 427 other that the 63-4 big cars is very rare.... Now if it is a Mercury of ANY year it is SO RARE that if it is for sale you better buy it and to do so bring a whole lot of money with you... Now don't forget the AC Cobra's from 64-7 or the GT 40 as well. Both of those got the 427 shoe horned in as well.. .. That's it, no birdie's even thou it would bolt right in and yes with the low riser 2x4's the hood would still close,but Ford kept them as "high end" cars that older people would drive to the country clubs ......Rich

Let's not forget about the special '57 T-bird with the J code engine option........ huffing down I forget how many pounds of boost back in the day.

Matt

How about the early 70's?

I had a 71 429 212hp, and they also had a 460 (Lincoln) 224hp option.
I don't have torque #'s but they didn't run too badly after you got them moving.

Of course they did have problems passing a gas station - 11/12mpg. :p

Just read car craft, they have a new t-bird with a supercharged 3.9ltr making 390 hp 390 lb ft torque, theres your winner.

Back