Posi 8.8 rearend

OPEN vs CLOSED

My differential is an open one which equals "NON-POSITRACTION"

I found a closed differential for a conversion to POSI through EATON but is is 350bux...I AM LOOKING FOR a better alternative to that....Pretty much if ya don't get it, ya are not gonna have an answer...."Closed Diff" that is what I am lookin for....

Brad

Well all the SC's are limited slip diffs. If you want a "True" posi you are going to have to spend the money on something new, llok at a detroit locker for best straight line hook up with street driveability. If you want a cheap alternative to a posi with gears you can go with a pumpkin from an auto to give you 3.27's for your stick. If it is for auto then buy gears and just rebuild what you have.

It's kinda hard to "get it" when you are typing in broken English. I am not sure what language that is but it a look like English is not your first.

Any 89-93 auto would be a good source. They will have 3.27’s. You probably have 3.31’s it’s not enough of a difference to worry about. Buy the whole pumpkin and it will be much easier on your wallet. To set up a new carrier costs about $200 if you do all the work besides setting up the gears. Meaning you take the pumpkin down to just install the traction lock carrier into your housing (pumpkin). If you buy the whole pumpkin all you have to do is replace the entire assembly without disturbing the gear set. I doubt you would want to set up the gears yourself.

Jeff

OK...

I don't quite follow or understand the press I am gettin here....

I took my pumkin into a shop "That Knows There Bizz" and he told me that I needed a closed diff if I was gonna go with a posi...He found a "Closed Diff" Diff = Differential for those of you who don't get the acronym...He said all Ineeded to know was that I needed the closed diff, and that it is a 27 spline...I suppose anyone that knows anything worth contributing would have understood and responded...

BTW, english is my first language...SORRY for the "Broken" and misspelled english gents...:rolleyes: ...Sheesh...Oh...What am I thinkin...Sheesh is not a word...Prolly misspelled is as well...But it is not a word...I give up...

Brad

I GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

open diff =non limited slip
closed diff= limited slip

umm, dont call it a closed diff because I've never heard that term used before either:rolleyes:

Truthfully I think our rear end is a closed diff, not sure what the actual definition is. It is limited slip which means that both tires will hook and go as long as you are going straight. Limited slip is much better for around town driving and turns. It will slip the inside tire for better turns and less squirellyness( i don't think that is a word either). You go to a locker and you are going to here it lock the wheels but if you hit it around a turn then they will lock up and you'll be sideways in a hurry or even worse if you have sticky tires it will try to run you straight ahead and you'll end up going over a curb or in someones yard. Just rebuild and change gears in what you got and you'll be happy.

This ain't my first rodeo.

If you look at what you said in the first post you will see that it isn’t a complete sentence and is hard to understand what you are trying to ask. You were asked to restate your question. You did adding.

“Pretty much if ya don't get it, ya are not gonna have an answer...."Closed Diff" that is what I am lookin for.... “

Well I know what you are looking for and I answered your question.

Closed diff., Limited slip, Traction lock, posi, positraction, and sure grip are all used to describe the same thing. Although Closed diff is not used very often. Each manufacture calls theirs something different. Example Posi, and positraction is a GM term. Trac lock if a Ford term and Sure Grip is a Morpar term.

You need a carrier (that what the ring gear bolts to) from a 89-95 SC with traction lock. The 94-95 autos with traction control have an open diff.

Jeff

j57ltr

Hey Jeff, you seem to know alot about differentials, so maybe I could ask a question. I wanted to go for the 3.27 upgrade for my 89 5-spd. You recommend getting the entire pumpkin right? Getting a carrier would still mean that I would have to have someone set up the gears right? Also, if I am looking for a pumpkin, does it have to be out of an SC or can I look for any Ford 8.8" 3.27 pumpkin as long as it is for IRS? I appreciate you help in advance and commend you on your demeaner. :)

Uh actually "Positraction" is an Eaton term (although often associated with 60s/70s GM muscle cars). It is the brand name for their limited slip differential with carbon fiber clutches. A great diff BTW, much better than the Ford Traction-loss (oops, I mean Traction-lock). If you like long straight burnouts with two tracks of precisely equal length, then you can't go wrong with a Posi. :D

I have an Eaton Posi in my SC. But it was a huge ordeal to install because the side gears had to be machined to accept the circlips. Eaton is apparently redesigning it to be compatible with circlip axles, don't know when that product will be availble.

ekesz13

Yes I would recommend that you replace the entire pumpkin out of an auto SC, that’s the easiest route. As far as what other cars they can come from I’m not sure. It is pretty easy to find someone on the classified board that is parting out an early model auto. Don Kerridge (sp) (djkerridge) parts out a few as does Wynn (Tbird88) I know he just got an auto right now but not sure what he ahs decided as far as parting it out.

Jeff

Ps ok Rob you got me.:D

Thanks Jeff, I have talked to Don and he said maybe April or May he will have a pumpkin available. Thanks for the help.

Hi guys, I know this is digging up dead threads but in this thread on guy says that 94/95 autos with traction control have Open differentails???? Is this true?? I could swear I peel out with both tires in a straight line, two black rubber lines back me up as well.

PearlBird said:
Hi guys, I know this is digging up dead threads but in this thread on guy says that 94/95 autos with traction control have Open differentails???? Is this true?? I could swear I peel out with both tires in a straight line, two black rubber lines back me up as well.

I can peel both tires in my 78' El Camino and I know it's open. It just depends on the road.

Think of it this way if your right tire slips you would apply breaking to that side, which would also slow the left tire which isn't spinning.

As far as I know there never was a Trac model with limited slip unless it was installed by a previuos owner

jeff

Back