FRUSTRATED.......clutch....need help ASAP

lowflying90

I'm replacing the clutch in my SC. So far I have drained the tranny, removed the shifter and stuff inside the car, and have gotten the driveshaft removed from the tranny, and disconnected the wires.

I did not remove the gas tank or exhaust.

How do I get the clutch hydraulic line disconnected....It appears that the white ring on the pink connection at the tranny is messed up and partly broken. How do I disconnect this line? Should I just hack it off and buy a new line? How much do these cost?

What is the procedure for removing the tail section of the tranny from the crossmember bracket without removing the exhaust? I'm not sure which bolts need to be removed back there to do it the easiest and quickest.

Are the front bolts a PITA to get off up on top of the tranny? Any tips on that?

Do I need to remove the starter?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

There is a special tool used to disconnect the hydraulic line from the slave cylinder. Might be able to borrow it from a Ford dealer. The tool is called the Clutch Coupling Tool # T88T-70522-A. It can be found in the T89L-1000-F or T88T-7025-S Sets or the TKIT-1988-F, TKIT-1988-FLM, TKIT-1988-LM, TKIT-1989-LM or TKIT-1989-M kits. You can also still buy the tool from OTC/SPX using part number 7646A and calling 1-800-533-6127.

Sorry....the Helms says to remove both the exhaust and starter ....I will defer to others that may have found a workaround.

Last edited:
Used long needle nose pliers to disconnect my clutch fluid line. Exhaust will have to be removed, especially if you still have cats. Gas tank can stay up.

2 screwdrivers works good as well. You have to push the little white ring twords the slave then it pops loose. You might have to bend the screwdriver so you can push it far enough in.

You will probably have to drop the diff so you can slide the driveshaft back far enough to get it out of the tranny. Or you can remove the tank.

use a 3' extension and swivel to get to the top bolts.

Jeff

I already have the driveshaft out by dropping the differential. The plastic coupling is kinda not there on the hydraulic line. I think the previous owner messed it up after putting like 3 clutches in it.

can i get it off by breaking the slave and salvage the hydraulic line since i hear they are expensive?

My exhaust is still up. I have no cats on it. Can i get the tranny out without removing the exhaus?

what bolts need to come off of the back of the tranny... It looks like there is two on the crossmember... one large one in the center of the crossmember and a couple of ones above that. What ones need to be removed?

Thanks

Jeff

Remove the crossmember.

I have heard of someone that had the same problem (missing ring) they had to make a ring out of .031 brass shim material. You will probably have to do the same. You could cut it off from the slave, but how are you going to remove it then? If try to cut it away you will probably damage the line and have to replace anyway. Try shim material.

Jeff

Look at your setup I can't see it. Determine for yourself if you can remove the tranny with it there.

i just want to say good luck. yesterday i got under the car and was gonna do my clutch. i got the exhuast off and then when i realized i would have the drop the fuel tank, i put the exhuast back on. lol, ill have to do it some other time when i can afford to have my car out of commision for a week.
good luck, you have already gotton farther thani did.

I removed universal joint

I remove universal joint to drop trans used a c clamp to remove it left yoke in trans two screw drivers work for the hydro line
,, remove shifter and drop I do mine in about a hour, first time I droped tank and it was a bytch , remember to put a peice of wood or something under oil pan if using a jack on it.

Back