Shakey Steering Wheel

NorthrnSCownr

<i><font color=blue><h4> Ok my question is this: When I get onto the highway there are certain sections that when driving on, very apparently cause my steering wheel to turn quickly back and forth in small movements. Usually it is not more than half an inch. <P>With some roads it doesn't seem to be as apparent.<P> Could this be an allignment issue? Also sometimes when I am breaking coming to a light, or [Stop] sign, and gently apply the breaks, the wheel will do the same thing... but will move slower and more like up to an inch in either direction back and forth, back and forth...etc.<P> The accumulator is new, and car stops fine....Any thoughts? <P>I am sure I could at least get the front end alligned since I havent yet, but was hoping you guys could shed a hint of light on the subject... Much appreciated,
-Tom</I></font></H4>

Do the basics 1st

Get the fornt end off the ground and check for excessive "slop" in the front suspension and wheel bearings. If it's fairly tight, then wheel balance & alignment.

Mine does the same on rough roads not when im on the brakes. And also has a pop in the front left supension when i hit bumps, someone else had a thread on it but i had the front subframe or whatever with the star fittings on it tightened. I think it might be the bushing on the end of the sway bar, anyone gotta guess?

me too

my car pulses a little when braking, one or more of my rotors are/is warped.. which is why the brakes also squeak so it could be that.... also be sure to check very simple things like tire pressure, it sometimes solves a little.
-Damon

Most likely a tire

Bad belt(s). :)

Rotate them and see what happens. Make sure your balance is good also, and that you haven't lost a weight.

Just did brakes all around - four new rotors cleared up the same kind of issues. Steering wheel shook slightly at highway speeds and wobbled at low speed during braking.

If your steering wheel wobbles with slight brake pressure, then you definately have a warped rotor (or something connected to the front hubs).

Also on the 'pop' going over bumps. Check your motor mounts, if they are good then check the sway bar end links. My 89 made some strange sounds on bumps at low speeds before I did my mounts, now its very quiet.

hey

hey pastera, how much did all 4 rotors cost you if i may ask. Im so sick of this squeaking, im hoping to replace them my last car did the same thing, got the rotor sanded but didnt help. you replaced yours with stock ones right? thanks
-Damon

I got a set of the 'cheap' rotors because thats all I could get. So $23 each rear and $26 each front. Put a good quality pad up front and go easy on them for 30-50 miles.

I don't turn many rotors anymore because it is $10 each to turn them and my time and gas is worth more than the $15-$20 more to get new rotors. Plus, I do a lot of work on family/friends cars and they don't care because I still save them $100 over a shop.

Aaron

I got them at a local shop, so if you search around you can probably find them for around the same. I'll call them and see if I can get a brand name on the rotors

Aaron

I don't think the wheel turing back and forth would be caused by rotors or tires. Both of my SC's and my 98 and 99 Ranger have all done that. The wheel will go left and right back and forth and increase when the brakes are applied. And my last SC did that and it had 4 new tires, new brakes, and new rotors. I think there is some other issue that causes this.

FWIW, it was tires in my case, many years ago. Changing them out solved it.

Yes, it can be other things, but start with the easy stuff.

Back