Help Please - '92 SC Stalling

89TSC

HELP!!!! - I am in the process of buying another SC to replace my 89 that currently has over 220,000 miles. I have not even turned bolt one on the motor but I am afraid that it is getting about time to retire the old girl.

I have found a 92 SC, 5 speed, with 87K near me but I am afraid that I might run into major problems with the car. The car will drive fine for a while then on occasions it will suddenly begin to stall and will completely die. It does not matter where it occurs (after hitting a bump, making a turn, etc.) The car will stall out driving straight down a smooth road. I thought the car might have a bad ground if it only occurred after bumps or sudden turns. After talking further to the guy who is selling the car, he has told me that if you wait for 15 minutes, the car will fire back up and run OK.

I asked him some other questions:
1) I asked him if he noticed any "loading" before the car dies and said that he had noticed some "loading" prior to stall.

2) I asked him if the upshift light stayed on prior/during the stall and he told me that all the warning lights came on after it stalled including the upshift light. He did not notice if the upshift light came on prior to stall.

3) The car appears to have been tapped in the rear bumper area very lightly. There is very minor damage on the rear bumper.
I know that there is an auto-fuel shut off switch near the back but I don't think that it was tapped that hard to cause this problem.

I am planning to take the car to a Ford dealer and have him run the codes off the computer. The service manager has told me that they would ONLY be able to determine the problem is if they could get the car to "act up" for them.

My questions to the forum are:

1). I know that a bad cam sensor, bad crank sensor, bad engine ground, or a bad DIS module can cause some of these problems. Are there any other components I should look at?

2). Does the above symptoms lead anyone to believe that it is one of the above components over another or a combination of the above items or is it another part that I haven't even listed?

3). Are there any particular tests that I should have done at the dealership? Does anyone know if there is there some other information that I could provide to them to help them diagnose this problem?

4). Does anyone have a "ballpark price" on repairs for these items? I am sure the dealership wouldn't try to screw me!!
HA - LOL

5). Should I waive off this car and seek another 5 speed SC.
(5 speeds that are in good shape seem to be getting rare!!!)

6). Any other comments that I haven't adressed would be greatly appreciated!!!

I thank you in advance for your time and knowledge

Dave

Last edited:
My car did the same thing it would be running fine and then all of a sudden just die. Wait a few minutes then start right back up. It was a bad crank sensor. Cost about 36dollars for a new one. Hope this helps.

As long as your '89 is running well, I would definatley wait for a lower mileage 5 speed! They are rare, but they always turn up.. especially if you can travel to get one.

In which case, there are almost always several good ones across the continent on Autotrader.

I had the exact same problem on my 93 and it turned out to be the ground wire that bolts to the radiator support directly in front of the battery was not getting a good connection. May or may not be your problem. I would also look at the fuel pump/fuel filter area as well. Good luck.

Back