89 Supercoupe problem.......

MysticGohan51

Ok i have a 1989 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe... I recently purchased this vehicle because i have wanted one for a long time. Anyways.....before i bought it, it was sitting for about 4 months without being driven......Then i bought it and it sat for about 6 more months. Now i am trying to get it on the road and i have having some problems. First im in Buffalo NY so its a little cold up here in the winter. At first it started right away when i put a new battery in it but then stalled out. Then i tried starting it again and it would do anything, not even turn over...So eventually i hit the starter with a hammer but i also fiddled with the wires. Now it starts everytime no problem... But now i am having trouble with it overheating because the fan won't work. I had the fan tested and its fine. I also put in a new thermostat. The fan still will not work. So i can't drive the vehicle without it being too hot. I also have a section up in the classified section of parts i need. One is something i think is the problem of the fan not working but im not 100% sure. If someone has parts and can check that it would greatly be appreciated. I hope someone has the knowledge i am seeking to help me out. Because as of now i have no ride because is won't work and very little money. So any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks ahead of time for your help...

Don

Turn on the AC with the engine running. The fan should come on. if it doesn't then the IRCM (itergrated relay control module) is probably bad. It's the black box behind the pass side headlight.

Check the fusible links under the power dist. block It's behind the battery.

Jeff

Try the AC first then get back to us. If the clutch is bad or something just disconnect the compressor clutch (the plug on top of the compressor)

Remove the IRCM. There is a bolt that holds the wire harness in there. Drill out all the rivits and take the cover off. There are several relays in there. The open frame ones are what you are looking for. Look at it closely you will see that there are contacts there like points on a old distriburtor (sp). Rub them together to knock the carbon off of them. Reconnect and try the AC test again.

Jeff

It's really not that hard

well i already have that removed....but i don't see any rivets or anything...its right in front of me....there was one bolt holding it on and a metal piece holding it in the body.....but i don't see anything where i can take it apart.....

Don

The contacts are probably carboned up. By rubbing them together you clean them like you would points. (you do know what points are right?)

Jeff

Burnishing tool.

You can get a burnishing tool from an electronics store. It looks like a small nail file with super fine grit. Stick it between the contacts, press them together and slide the tool back & forth to clean the contact faces. Or get very fine emery cloth & do the same. Just rubbing them together may remove the carbon, but doesn't renove the pitting which is the real problem. ;)

Why not just change the coolant temperature switch. It looks just like a coolent temp sensor except it sends the signal to the computer for the fan to kick on.

Because he turned on the A/C and the fan still didn't turn on. That has nothing to do with any coolant temperatures then. It should ALWAYS turn on with the A/C on, sitting at idle.

Dale

well.......does it matter if the ac doesn't work......i put it on and tried it....but i don't know if mine works or not.....????

Back